Zeroconf (Bonjour / Rendezvous / Avahi) support

rockinrobstar

• 1 month later...
You mean that platform-independent UPnP isn't enough?

If by that you are implying that "platform-independent UPnP" actually WORKS worth a shit, then wow, you are so, completely, and totally OFF.

If MS's shitty UPnP implementation can work properly in 1.5, why can't the hand coded, platform-independent shit work right in 1.6 and above? I'm still having to manually set the port forwardings in my router, and when the network interfaces and MAC addresses on the computers keep jumping around, that becomes a pain in the ASS to maintain!

One of two things really needs to be used in uT. Either this zeroconf thing (which hell, I honestly don't even know what it does, or how it works) - or a working UPnP implementation. Right now it's just bogus. Ludde really should have coded a fallback into it - or at LEAST more verbose error messages than "unable to map upnp port" (it gave real errors in 1.5 and earlier... wtf?) - when he had a chance.

Yes, this UPnP thing chaps my ass. TWO routers, out of the TWO I've tested, don't work with this shitty UPnP system. Countless others while I wander around various wireless networks do the same thing. In fact, I don't even know what it says when it DOES work... does it say anything at all?

As if those alternatives have any wider support.

Bonjour (formerly Rendezvous), as far as I've seen is currently only supported for port forwarding with Apple brand routers.

You may be 2 for 2 with not working, but I'm 3 for 3 with working.

Linksys WRT54G v5 with Linksys official firmware.

Linksys WRT54GL with HyperWRT Thibor

DLink DI-624 with DLink official firmware.

Is it your fault that UPnP doesn't work for you?

No

Is it Ludde's fault that UPnP doesn't work for you?

No

Is it the router manufacturer's fault that UPnP doesn't work for you?

Yes.

If MS's shitty UPnP implementation can work properly in 1.5, why can't the hand coded, platform-independent shit work right in 1.6 and above

You have to realize that people can argue the same thing about MS's implementation not working, but ludde's working. It's a hit and miss, and I personally blame it on the UPnP Forum for not making everything more standardized than it currently is.

• 2 months later...

Archived