Instant speed limit button

Keithtris

Seen this one on Getright, so they've probably got it copyrighted all the hell, because it's pretty much the best idea I've ever seen in a download program, and yet nobody uses it.

Anyway, the idea is that you set a speed limit that the program can download at, and you turn that limit on or off with a button.

That saves you the bother of, when you just want to use the net for five minutes, but your torrents are taking all of your bandwidth, going through all the option screens, setting and enabling a speed limit, and then having to remember to turn it all off again five minutes later.

Sure, you could pause all of your torrents, but the speed limiting code is already there, waiting to be used in this way.

Also, if you pause all of your torrents, you run the risk of forgetting to turn them back on, which this idea sort of bypasses by never quite stopping them.

Sorry vurlix, I'm not sure where you mean.

If you mean the Bandwidth Allocation -> High/Normal/Low, that's not what I'm talking about at all.

I just thought it would be good to have a button on the main bar you could click to say "Okay, while this button is clicked on, only download at 25kbps, so that I have enough bandwidth for web browsing, but still keep torrents running"

And then later when you don't need the spare speed, click it off so your torrents can use all the available bandwidth.

what vurlix means is that in the status bar at the bottom of the window. where it says Network OK if u right click on the upload or download section a context menu appears that u can change ur global up/down speed with.

to change the options for the context menu u can set them in the advanced configuration settings.

hope that helps.

Hmm after checking it out vurlix I would like another colum that allows you to change the "Alternate upload rate when not downloading" If thats posible.

theres already an option in the settings to allow u to change ur global upload rate when your not downloading.

seeing as im here ill ask anyway. my previous request about columns for showing individually set up/down speeds per torrent. ( any confirmation as to whether or not it might get implemented )

Hmm after checking it out vurlix I would like another colum that allows you to change the "Alternate upload rate when not downloading" If thats posible.

theres already an option in the settings to allow u to change ur global upload rate when your not downloading.

you must go to utorrents preference to change the global download/upload limit, it woulbe be better to have a button, because its much quicker.

Azureus has a very handy 'right click on tray icon>Max Up/Max Down' menu, which I think would be the easiest way of implementing a quick global bandwidth limit while still allowing a lot of flexibility.

Edit: I've just realised that right clicking the status bar does exactly the same thing, but a system tray shortcut to it would be appreciated, if possible :)

Otherwise µtorrent does everything I could wish for, I shall be recommending it to all my aquaintances.

I also found the quick global upload limiter (by right clicking on status bar) very usefull!

only thing is, what HoochieMamma already mentioned:

It limits _only_ the global rate. The alternate upload rate, when downloads are complete, stays unchanged, so i cant quicly lower the upload speed when i'm done downloading..

*just a suggestion: make the quick global rate limit overrule the other limits, and add a 'default' rate to the right click menu to turn it back to default?

just my 2 cents.

greets

• 2 weeks later...
^Yarr, I like the idea of changing the global upload by right clicking on the uploading section at the bottom. But I would also like the Alternate upload rate when not downloading to be easily accessable.

Maybe having the right click menu changing the "global upload rate" when µTorrent is downloading, and the same menu changing the "alternate upload rage" when µTorrent is not downloading?

Archived