Almost imposible to browse the net.................

rudi1

Hi!

I read a few post hear about this problem,but still no go.When I download with utorrent with slow download speed and I like to browse the net is really slow.I try a few suggestion here,but still slow.I have 1024/256 kbit/s on xp sp2 and in utorrent I have upload speed set to 19.

When the first version is release I don't have this problem,but now with latest release browsing net when running utorrent is slow :cry:

any suggestion?

Problem is that utorrent is hogging MORE bandwith that its using up according to the stats. Especially noticable for the upload. This causes slow browsing here too, on a 2mb/192 line with upload set to 18k - When I'm checking the numbers under connection statistics, it shows that the outgoing data is indeed almost 22k per sec, even though I set it lower.

Seems you have ADSL, there are usually problems with the number of connections (they are often ~250 max), limit the total connections to 80-100. Then limit the upload speed to 80%. Download traffic is managed by windows quite well. You just need enough free connections and some free upload bandwith. Each open IE page uses 3-4 connections.

I used to have the same problem, but I tried the solution suggested and now everything is fine.

My connection is 1Mbps, max download is 140 and max upload is 40 with unlimited bandwith. Did what silverfire said and capped the DL to 70 and UL to 28 in uTorrent. Now I can surf the web normally and the ping rate at IRC is 0 just like usual. ^_^

You might want to consider using cFosSpeed. It's incredibly helpful, even for those with fat pipes, but I bet it'd help a lot more for those of us with pretty limited upload. It's a traffic shaper and ACK prioritizer. WIth it, you can give any P2P apps or whatever program you choose low priority and any other app (such as HTTP which is prioritized automatically) can take bandwidth when necessary. It also reduces your pings when uploading/downloading significantly.

http://www.cfos.de/speed/cfosspeed_e.htm

Check out this thread for more detailed info.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=12997#p12997

well, i had that problem some time ago. it was caused by my linksys router. by default, the router only opens some 256 or 512 ports i think, which means that any app that opens a large number of ports, like bt, will kill your connection. (i can't even ping my router when there're alot of connections). the solution is to flash your router with one of the third party firmware, which allows for 4096 open ports and better QOS management. i'm using dd-wrt. note that it's a dangerous procedure and failure to follow instructions might result in bricking your router.

if you're directly connected to the cable modem then i don't know about that.

well, i had that problem some time ago. it was caused by my linksys router. by default, the router only opens some 256 or 512 ports i think, which means that any app that opens a large number of ports, like bt, will kill your connection. (i can't even ping my router when there're alot of connections). the solution is to flash your router with one of the third party firmware, which allows for 4096 open ports and better QOS management. i'm using dd-wrt. note that it's a dangerous procedure and failure to follow instructions might result in bricking your router.

if you're directly connected to the cable modem then i don't know about that.

well.I have the same router and I use the latest Linksys firmware for it wrt54g-4.20.8.I don't know if this new firmware is the same with ports,but looks like that you are right.

when I run torrent client only torrent client can download all others internet programs is imposible to run :(

You can unbrick a Linksys router if you screw it up. :)

http://www.polarcloud.com.nyud.net:8090/files/HyperWRT_G_4209_tofu7.zip

Try this firmware, it's for the WRT54G, created by Tofu. It's fairly minimalist, but it provides enough required features to get by. It also raises the connection limit.

You might wanna save this page in case the upgrade fails. Make sure you have your official Linksys firmware saved on the PC still, you'll need it if you brick the router (but it's EXTREMELY unlikely to do that unless you put in firmware from another router...) http://www.hyperwrt.org/wiki/RecoverFromABrick

Thanx a lot for your help Firon,I'am just flash the router with this firmware and I must say that works really good,also I can browse the net too :)

Looks like all problems at me is with my router,not with utorrent-Thanx again!

also here is some guide for Tweaking Bit-Torrent Speeds.It's for Azureus,but you can use it for utorrent 2:

http://s90782290.onlinehome.us/?page_id=117

Cheers!

Archived