Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

harman

I have a 40gb torrent and this is the second time something like this has happened. The first time uTorrent said "Data Error:" and that was all. So I removed the torrent and then reloaded it again and it still didn't work. However I repeated this process and the 6th time I did it the torrent started working again.

Now I have got an error message "Data Error: (cyclic redundancy check)". I have removed the torrent and reloaded it but still get the same error.

Could someone please tell me how to fix this problem and indeed what the error message even means.

Thanks

My experience with that error is that the disk (be it a hard disk, a CD or a DVD or its drive) is corrupted/damaged. Although it has happened on perfectly fine disk but those were always isolated incidents and I was pretty much never able to reproduce them.

In the case of a CD or DVD it could be its just dirty but a HD should definitely be checked by chkdsk for corrupt sectors. Also see if you get S.M.A.R.T. OK or Error messages when you turn on the computer. You could even go as far as to run the tests disk or software that the manufacture of that drive has available on its website.

Archived