Tracker updating takes a really long time since yesterday

GeistFahrer

So I'm having this problem with torrents when the tracker is updating (under general, when the "update in..." reaches 0). Since yesterday it takes like 10 minutes to update or at least the icon stays red for that long. And under the tracker status it says offline (timed out). All of the sites (trackers) are working normally, so I really don't know what the problem is. As I said, these problems started out yesterday, but before in a year, I haven't had these problems at all. Can anyone help me with this?

I have been using Utorrent for about 1 1/2 years without a problem. About 2 weeks ago Suddenlink took over for Cox Cable, and last week my modem crashed and burned. They gave me a surfboard 5120, and since that time I cannot download any new torrents. My old torrents will upload, but nothing will download. I read the "If you have a motorola surfboard" section on the Port Forward page, but my router's IP Address is 192.168.1.1 not 100.1. Also I have DHT enabled but the tracker say "not allowed."

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. DRJBF

Ultima, I did what you said, patched the .sys file and now I don't have the problems I had (I don't get even errors in the event viewer), even though I decreased the number of global connections. So that's one problem solved. However, I didn't notice any increase in speed, like the patch said I would, if anything, my upload speed is now even a bit smaller. I seem to be not able to hold onto the "stronger" peers (so that I would upload constantly with 20kbps or more to just one peer, like I did before). The number of peers that I'm uploading to, didn't decrease, but strangely, the speed to those did. Oh, and I increased the limit from 10 to 50 (with the patch; should I increase it even more?). Maybe it could just be the fact, that I'm now paying more attention to the upload speed, to see how the patch worked, but I don't think that's the case. So, any suggestions?

And more thing. Does patching the .sys file in any way lower my security (be it either viruses, spyware, trojans... either anti-p2p agencies)?

Not really any security risk, at least not TO you. Though your box if infected with a virus can send out copies faster (in theory) if it can attempt more ips at once. (which is what high half open connection limit allows.)

I've found I need at least 4 upload slots per torrent to saturate my ~40 KB/sec upload speed...but that's because I am running torrents with seldom more than 10 connections on them, and some may be dial-up.

You may need to increase total upload slots slightly or better yet just check "use additional upload slots if upload speed <90%".

So what's your connection's up and down max bandwidth and what settings are you currently trying to use in µTorrent?

Make sure that each upload slot can (in theory) get at least 1-3 KB/sec each. It's ok if many don't so long as the total number of upload slots stays considerably below your total upload speed in KB/sec.

Otherwise, you're uploading at less than 1 KB/sec to people...and tit-for-tat often gives NOTHING back if you're uploading so slowly.

OK, I'll have in mind what you wrote. But now with the same settings as before I'm still getting a bit lower speeds than before (for example, upload ranges from 23 - 29 when good, when it was 28-32 before; same goes for the download, my average speed is now around 70 kB/s (or even less, 65), and before it was around 75). And I don't see how that could happen by just applying that patch. Plus, the number of peers/seeds now sometimes waries from the numbers shown on the tracker/torrent site. Any clues why this could have happened?

Archived