Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loatroll

PunBB

it is alot faster and probably saving vurlix a sh*t load of bandwidth usage as theres no fancy button images for new post, pm, email, etc etc.

I kind of like it when new post/pm/email is just simple text :D

Btwm it would be nice to see the post count againt for each users, nice to see how active forum member someone is :)

Very. fast o.o The forums are blazing fast!

A seperator line for sigs would be nice..

The default forum style doesn't have a separator but the other 7 styles do, change the theme in your 'profile' if you want.

it is alot faster and probably saving vurlix a sh*t load of bandwidth usage as theres no fancy button images for new post' date=' pm, email, etc etc.[/quote']

Btwm it would be nice to see the post count againt for each users, nice to see how active forum member someone is :)

That's also up to the Admins discretion.

Vurlix, whoever else in charge - Some good info for customizing here:

http://punres.org/doku.php

Also, you can easily add the uTorrent logo to the header with this:

http://punres.org/doku.php?id=dev:styles:header_logo_via_css

i just noticed the fonts been made bigger. i do apologise for that as the old font size was infact better. here is an image of what i meant.

preview.png

makes it much easier to read than aall of them squashed together in the smaller boxes

Personally I'm really satisfied with the new forum :)

One thing though, the currently read topic should be marked as such. (I have no doubt that this'll be added :))

punbb doesn't mark new topics as read when you click on them. it stays marked as unread until you close the browser/session.

I love punbb. running it on one of my sites..

and thank god - no stupid image signatures.. ugh..

also I highly recommend the Private Messaging Mod..

Argh... I don't like the new forum software. I don't know, maybe I need to give it time to get used to it. I never did like phpBB anyways, so I guess this is a good change. There still needs to be work done to make it a nicer forum. The text size is massive and needs to be nocked down a notch or two, and the [New Posts] text should be changed into a smaller little picture.

I really like SMF and you can see a good example of it here. The absolute best feature of SMF is that the 'new posts' marker stays there forever until you actually read the topic. It doesn't just fall away like every single other forum type I have used... That is the single best feature that I wish was standard in all forums. I guess the software isn't going to be changed, but at least the UI can be tweaked alot more.

Anyways, good work with keeping things current and fresh, and for the program!

bandwidth wasn't the problem, it was server load. Should be fine now.

That's because PhpBB sucks. It's idiot simple but it isn't fast (without tweaks). I like PunBB. It's very minimalist, however, sometimes a bit too minimalist. For example, it lacks PM functionality (though not strictly required here it might be nice). There is also no BBCode buttons to speak of but that isn't really required, but definitely nice.

The font size is also pretty annoying at its default setting and there is no way to change it without using the browser text zoom features. The default font should be 1 or 2 pixels smaller but not really a big issue.

The biggest problem with the conversion is your forums have essentially become a lonely island of your website. There is no linking back to your homepage and that can be disorienting and even infuriating to users. I would take time to properly edit some of the PunBB skin files to get links back and forth.

Argh... I don't like the new forum software. I don't know, maybe I need to give it time to get used to it. I never did like phpBB anyways, so I guess this is a good change. There still needs to be work done to make it a nicer forum. The text size is massive and needs to be nocked down a notch or two, and the [New Posts] text should be changed into a smaller little picture.

I really like SMF and you can see a good example of it here. The absolute best feature of SMF is that the 'new posts' marker stays there forever until you actually read the topic. It doesn't just fall away like every single other forum type I have used... That is the single best feature that I wish was standard in all forums. I guess the software isn't going to be changed, but at least the UI can be tweaked alot more.

Anyways, good work with keeping things current and fresh, and for the program!

I used to be a contributer to SMF. Its bloat.

There are a ton of usage problems (worse than phpBB) and it absolutely drains system resources. The reason I left is because they know about the problems and refuse to fix them.

I think the old font size was ok, but as I said before, the name of the the thread creator should be under the thread name, therefore it gives the feeling to the forum that it isn't so squashed together.

So there is no need to make the foot bigger and make more room around them ;)

For example, it lacks PM functionality (though not strictly required here it might be nice). There is also no BBCode buttons to speak of but that isn't really required, but definitely nice.

The font size is also pretty annoying at its default setting and there is no way to change it without using the browser text zoom features. The default font should be 1 or 2 pixels smaller but not really a big issue.

The biggest problem with the conversion is your forums have essentially become a lonely island of your website. There is no linking back to your homepage and that can be disorienting and even infuriating to users. I would take time to properly edit some of the PunBB skin files to get links back and forth.

PMs: As I said above, it's a mod that can easily be implemented. It's not a necessary feature of a forum since there's an email link under your profile (but I noticed he turned off the email functionality.. this was an admin decision though)

BBcode: is here

Font size: looks the same size to me. what theme are you using (click Profile > Display).

Home page link: can be put into the navigation through the admin. they just haven't done it.

it is alot faster and probably saving vurlix a sh*t load of bandwidth usage as theres no fancy button images for new post' date=' pm, email, etc etc.[/quote']

this is also something that was an admin decision to turn off..

I think it should look something like this (quick edit, smaller font, less space + moved the moderator names) =

forumdesign2ff.png