Newbit @ wits end...not one to give up, but I am getting there...

jam61375

you all are my last hope, I fear.

I am a Windows XP user with McAffee Firewall. I have a Westell WireSpeed model B90-211060-04 and connect thru fuse. I have read and re-read and went to help links and clicked here and clicked there and completely turned of my firewalls and changed this ip and so forth. All of it is foreign to me. I am not computer illiterate, but this is a new realm and I admit... I AM CLUELESS what half the stuff means when they say ROUTER, FORWARD. I dont know where to begin. People on other posts, talk about the color of their arrows... I dont even have an arror or a color to go off of. I have tried to access my router "whatever that is" information and cant even find out if I have one.... Pathetic I know... My Westell (mentioned above) model isnt even listed for me to complete that FAQ. I called my ISP and they say I dont need a static ip address. I have 270 nodes, which sounds great... I think... and 0.0 kb/s but do have 214 kb. If someone can start me in the right direction to where to look to get the answers to attempt the FAQ's. I would appreciate it. Thanks for having this site and I hope you can be of some assistance.

A Router is a device which typically connects multiple computers to 1 internet connection. The internet connect is typically made through a 'modem' that has an ethernet connection on 1 side and a coaxial cable on the other side (for a cable modem) or a RJ45 connector on the other side for an ADSL modem.

The static ip address is only needed for your LAN address. Your internet address can be dynamic. Your computer has both addresses IF you have a router. If you don't have a router, then it's not a problem as you won't have a LAN address to make static.

Watch out -- some modems have a mini-router inside of them that also needs to be configured! You can GOOGLE your modem model to find its manufacturer's website...to find out how to configure it and whether it has a mini-router and/or firewall inside it.

Speed Guide (CTRL+G) can do speed tests and port tests to determine if you're successful in port forwarding.

Thank you for the response Switeck... I have reviewed the manual for the Westell 2110 and again, am at a loss to see what I am looking for or should do. I am providing the link to my Westell User Guide. If someone could (I hate to ask) take a glance and see if they can determine what I should do next. I hate to ask, so if you cant or dont want to I understand... but if you can... of course, I appreciate it very much.

Here is the link... http://www.westell.com/content/sales/2110_userguide.pdf

Archived