AVG & Utorrent

toostrike

I have a few questions.I am using AVG Anti-Virus Plus 7.5 trial version.It is the combination anti-virus/firewall.I have a cable modem,but am not using a router.I use private and public trackers.I disabled the DHT settings for the private trackers.I also disable port mapping.I'm wondering if I should do this on pubilic trackers too?It doesnt seem to hurt my speeds.

Speed test average 4492 D/ 442 U

Do I need to forward the port that utorrent uses?I'm new to this stuff...Do I need to tell my firewall what port utorrent uses?

I seem to get good download speeds.Never had any problems.I configered my modem using the speed guide,and made some small adjustments to the settings.My download speeds average from 150KB/s to 350KB/ on healthy seeded torrents consistently.

My trail wil expire in 15 days so I need a firewall that works good with utorrent.I want to stay away from Zone Alarm.I have my reasons.

Anti-Virus-I like Avast Home Edition.It uses little resources,and seems to update everyday.I have used it in the past,but things change,so I'm up in the air on this decision too!

I just need to overall advice,on my u-torrent settings,and protection.I'm considering just getting a damm router,but for now I'll let it go.

A software firewall is also limited in how good it is based on how secure the operating system it's running on is.

What's the good in having a deadbolt and chain on a screen door?

That's why many people are using routers as hardware firewalls.

Perhaps other posters can give you a list of better software firewalls than Zone Alarm to try/use?

I just use my linksys router -- even blocking ports on it that are LAN-specific, and have removed many internet-using apps that I don't want.

I have a router and feel safer for it but I still use a software firewall for 2 reasons.

1. My software firewall still blocks access attempts so it seems my router's firewall is not that good.

2. You would be surprised at how often windows or some program you have installed attempts to connect to the internet for whatever reason, I like to know and have the ability to choose what I trust to access the internet.

I also use peerguardian2 as an extra level of privacy. You might want to check it out.

I use Router, AVG Free version, and Zone Alarm free (yes cheap person, but will soon buy both as very impressed) and have zero problems with utorrent. Not happy with PG2 but maybe that was because I had added bluetack blocking lists. Also use ADware SE (free).

How do you know your software firewall isn't simply being overly paranoid?

How do you know it is being over paranoid? You don't and personally, I would rather err on the side of caution. Especially when there are so many excellent free tools available to protect you eg: AVG Free, Zonealarm Free, Adaware free & Peerguardian2. And Is there such a thing as overly paranoid in todays information gathering, spyware ripe society?? , within reason I think not.

2> if you're cautious enough about what you install, this point is meaningless.

Not true. For all you know your favorite software which you trust implicitly could be reporting your every action and with out some sort of outbound protection you would none the wiser.

Not true. For all you know your favorite software which you trust implicitly could be reporting your every action and with out some sort of outbound protection you would none the wiser.

This is my concern.I configured my firewall to block all access to some of my programs.Microsoft is another story.I don't trust Microsoft.Call me paranoid,Ok.No problem. I had bit defender on my pc,and got rid of it.I use AVG Anti-Spy,and it seems to do a good job.

How much is a good router? Name brands,model,ect....I plan on getting a router soon.I figure I can use windows firewall,and a router.

Thanks Guys,and or Gals.............

Archived