Internet disconnects when using uTorrent

pinksteady

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... bitching at people who are offering to help you.

Ever heard the parable "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." The dedicated staff spend their free time helping others because they want to. The fact of the matter is uT does not usually break on it's own. In the event it does... fixes are made and released quite quickly... usually under a week. Software firewalls, filtering, and security software is the root cause of 98.9% of all problems here. Getting into a spitting match because you're frustrated helps you none and doesn't encourage anyone else to help you.

DreadWingKnight, I have uninstalled nod32 completely and tested again, still same issue. Also, someone else (might have been in another thread) said he also had tried removing nod32 with no help.

jewelisheaven, I would not call my post to DreadWingKnight just bitching. I am trying to stay on track as there is obviously an issue here, and I am tired of people making claims as you do that 98.9% of the time it has nothing to do with utorrent. What? You might want to shove that number back where you pulled it out of, unless you have tracked every single posted and not posted issue, and have personally followed up on each and every issue out there.

Obviously, the majority of the time the issue is between the keyboard and the chair, then you have the crap ton of software out there that causes issues with other software, then the Microsoft patch BS that blows something up, and then all the security software hardware we trust to protect us, and then at the bottom of the list a quality piece of code like utorrent. So I am not saying utorrent sucks, I am saying I have taken the time to narrow this down to either the OS or utorrent. And people like you who drink up the milkshake and think that there is no way this could be utorrent are not helping. Even great software like utorrent can have a bug.

So, all these people are having issues, and we are no closer to a why, so can we stop this BS and have the developers take a second look? Or would you rather blast me back with more nonsense?

Dennis

I resolved my problem.

Here is the explanation : I installed Nintendi Wi-Fi software to play DS and Wii games by Wi-Fi.

This software enabled ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) but it seems Vista doesn't like this service.

I disabled this serivce at startup and now my connection is back : no more disconnections using Utorrent.

I don't know for you but if you have this problem, check if ICS is activated or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue here. As soon as I fire up ut 1.7.7 my internet browser stops working. (extremely slooow). I get event id 4226, too many half open connections. I also have the new tcpip.sys from MS. I'm running Windows Vista with the 2 SP1 pre-requisites, and also running SP1. My problem is that I installed SP1 and the new ut 1.7.7 the same day, but I'm leaning to Vista SP1 as the bigger problem because of the half open connectin limit. I also have a huge connection list showing 127.0.0.1:30606.

Is 30606 your uTorrent port? 127.0.0.1 is "localhost" another name for your computer :)

If you have overridden Ctrl-P -> Advanced -> net.max_halfopen from default (* means non-default) reset it. You can be experiencing slowdowns due to that, or you are making too many peer connections impacting your connection, or you are setting your upload too high. What are your current Speed Guide settings? What is your linespeed according to a speedtest?

Hi all

I found an old fix here on the forum from 2006 and after trying everything

now seemes to work ok

A member called Overdose wrote:

I found a fix on this forum... And it worked!

* Close uTorrent

* Start > Run:

* Enter "%APPDATA%\utorrent" (Without quotes)

* Delete everything inside the map which just opened (except any torrent files or bmp skin files...)

* Run uTorrent, choose your internet speed.

When I did this, all my problems were gone. Hope this works for more of you.

This worked for me.........

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=10514

I am also having issues with my connection when I use utorrent. This started about two months ago. I had made no changes to my settings or to my computer hardware, software, etc. I have spent many hours reading and tinkering with all the various suggestions on this and other forums about how to possibly get utorrent back to normal but nothing has worked. I have a Dell Dimension 4800 connected to AT&T/SBC DSL with ethernet, 2wire 1000 modem, and a Intel Pro 100 VE adapter for the connection. I never had any problems with utorrent previously and used utorrent alot the past two or three years. I have formatted my hard drive. I have had an AT&T service call to check my outside lines. I have changed to a different network adapter. Nothing has fixed the problem. This is beyond frustrating. The only thing I have not done is move on to another torrent client. Have other people with this problem been able to use a different client without having the "Local Area Connection Unplugged" error rearing it's ugly head? I really did not want to switch clients, and read a bunch of stuff about setting up a new client, but that is the direction I am headed. Any suggestions on a new client?

Unfortunately just because nothing changed as far as you know isn't everything. Your ISP may have put you on some countermeasures which do not like filesharing. If you have not already tried reducing your load from uT already, switching clients likely won't help you. If your line cannot accommodate the connections, it doesn't matter which client you use.

I am surfing right now looking at ISP options in my area but this could take forever. I found a link to a wiki- http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs - that shows which ISPs have a history of creating p2p problems, but I don't see my provider on the list. What a frickin drag. I have tried all the things you mentioned above. Limited utorrent. Changed firewalls. Went without a firewall. Went through all the port set ups again. I could go on and on. NOTHING WORKS!!

I am about to give up for tonight. I guess I will try a different client right now and if does not work I guess I will be moving towards a new ISP.

Does anyone know of any other forums that might be more active about some of the other possible causes of this problem? Please post links.

If I find anythig that helps me, I will certainly post it back here.

Hey Jewelisheaven, what are you currently doing about torrent downloads? Are you just going without downloads for now? That seems to be my only option at the moment.

Even bad ISPs allow some traffic through. It depends though upon the type of throttling / management software/hardware they use. It can be based upon a certain time of day/week or "load" (the number of connections to peers or services you make... i.e. DHT or LPD)

I regularly download using uT... and I have even been able to increase my load some after increasing my connection's efficiency with less peers per torrent and resetting RSS updates to 15 minute default. I previously set it to 60, but I found out the feeds keep a stagnant 5 minute old buffer, so 15 minutes is fine... and the more regular downloads allows me to pop onto swarms faster.

It's from Nago. Who has AMD processor. This driver can help. I have installed AMD processor drver for win xp/2003 and Zone Alarm works good with uTorrent. Looks like it was because of driver missmatch with programes or something because of P2P, or internet connection drivers if such exists. I'm not sure because i did'nt checked.

Before that i exit ZA and uT worked good. Then i thought it was ZA, but i installed AMD driver and ZA with uT worked good. A little earlier i thought it was because of P2P sharing or uT. But surely it's not.

"AMD Processor Driver Version 1.3.2.0053 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (x86 and x64) - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination to match the instantaneous user performance need. This package is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD processors on Windows XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003 SP2 x86 and x64 Editions.".

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/AMD_Processor_Driver_1320053.zip

I'm with dlevens on this... same problems.

In fact I registered in the forums because SOMETING is up. I shared and shared plentiful, uploads maxed pusing more than 55kb UP to people, on an easy day, pulling many mbit down. Yadda.

Comcast high speed, nothing blocked. Vista, then tried SP1 as a fix... Linksys WRT54G but flash and running SveaSoft linux based OS firmware. Noting has changed for a while in this configuration.

Worked perfectly till a couple weeks ago. Browsed the forums a bit, tried hacking tcpip.sys with the patches, etc etc. I tried the Bitcomet installation and nothing helped.... tweaked settings way way low and it doesnt help.

Anyone else still going through this?

dlevens or others any progress?

For a couple months I went through everything suggested in this thread, and elsewhere on the net. Finally resigned to trying out yet another new modem, only this time demanding my internet provider give me a Motorola 5101 and not just another crappy discontinued 4200. They reluctantly agreed (after even more needless script kiddied trouble shooting), but wanted to have a tech come out with the modem to look things over. When the time came the tech gave me the run around, wanting me to try all sorts of things i'd already tried until finally just giving in and handing over the new modem.

A week later and no connection problems. I do get a disc overload message when initiating new downloads generally at high speeds, but that evens out within seconds with no further messages or dramatic download/upload fluctuations.

I'll look into them Firon. FWIW I don't use the free version of the OS.

Problem solved. I was tired of tweaking and working around Vista. Couldn't uninstall SP1. I either had a problem with Vista or the new version of utorrent I installed... I opted to remove Vista. :)

Reformatted back to XP SP2, Beta Firefox, connections back, speeds are high, not a glitch.

Thanks.

:D Thank you for being patient with the support tech. Many people would simply be rude after all that, and doing all the testing yourself prepared you for the eventuality of isolating and changing the hardware. Have you tried increasing the load on the 5101 to see its tipping point for future reference?

When I had to replace my modem it wasn't that big a deal, but I did go through 3 support people. They did want to charge me for the visit because the old modem was not covered anymore. But the new modem works like a charm on 300% load of the previous settings ... and it's 1/8th the size to boot!!

It's been my experience copping an attitude just sets things back further. Though keeping an even demeanor does at times prove quite difficult. I have found it necessary to be somewhat aggressive when you want something done, otherwise you just aren't going to get it. Had I not specifically requested and continued on about the higher model modem, i'd still be stuck with the same old discontinued schlock. It's all about diplomacy I suppose.

Due to the limitations of my router, my speeds tend to cap around 1MB/s down and 120-130kB up, with no real affect on web browsing. Modem has held fine for over a week now. I steadily increased the global connections to 200, max number per torrent to 50 and max up to 50. Rolled the net max half back up to 8. Don't really see a need to push things any further as for the most part I stick to smaller trackers, while of course adjusting speeds accordingly for optimal performance.

It would probably be a good idea to better know the modems limitations, but for now it seems to be handling things with ease. I would like to invest in a good router, something capable of handling higher speeds. Any suggestions?

Archived