Internet disconnects when using uTorrent

pinksteady

I also had this problem with an earlier version of utorrent. The web slows down no matter what you do when downloading/uploading, you can't change that but I had BSODs about my WAN adapter drivers and windows wasn't detecting it after reset, had to unplug/replug. This stopped with a newer version i can't really remember, or with a windows update. One of the posts suggested disabling ICS on VISTA, thou that seemed reasonable. However XP has ICS/Firewall as one service, did anyone actually disabled that service on XP?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

Just to through a bone in... I definitely think it's vista. Why? Cause I have another computer running Linux on the same router (whr-g125 using dd-wrt 24sp1) and I can use Deluge torrent app and download just fine. I can keep surfing the web on the linux box and vista box just fine.

It's only when I run utorrent on vista, do I get the 1000 or so port 30606 localhost connections and you can't run anything else on vista. Linux box keeps working fine, so the router is handling it.

I use port 9001, so I don't know what the hell the port 30606 redirects to localhost are. I thought maybe it was nod32 intercepting, but I disabled it with the same results.

UPDATE*

Update.. I did just notice something. I had my browser already loaded up on this site, and I could continue to click around and surf the forums while utorrent was up.. but I could not connect to any other sites. I wonder if it has something to do with DNS? I.e. utorrent.com was already in my dns cache, but once I fired up utorrent, that cache was full or couldn't accept any more requests? That would explain the apparent *slowness* people are complaining about. The other sites show "connected" but never return data.

Well, I paid for nod32, so that's not so great of an idea to just remove my virus protection to fix p2p.

And you know, I decided to google nod32 and utorrent, and waddaya know, this post fixed the problem EXACTLY

"I think I know how to fix this problem, what you need to do is make sure your on the advanced mode, then across the top left click on setup --> antivirus and antispyware. Then where it says web access protection click on "configure". Then from the drop down menu expand "HTTP". Click on "Web browsers" and then in the list make sure utorrent has a "cross" in its box and not a "tick". If its on a tick then click on the box and change it to a cross. This should do the trick!"

• 7 months later...

SAME problem {local area connection unplugged} 2 seconds later im back on line/i have read all post on this page plus other research tried to fix this problem all day/i get that subject heading aleast one per minute the torrents slow to a halt no internet connection than right back on it last about 2-4 seconds/i have good speed in between loss of connection/only happens when utorrent is running no other time i really have tried all suggestions on this page/the router is lynksys befsr41 it is 3mths old/i believe it has something to do with router/ any help out there please

• 10 months later...

I was also having the same problem after dling the newest update from utorrent. After reading the above post and noticing that it seemed unlikely to be hardware I decided to delete it, re-download an older version and haven't had any problems since. Not sure, but it could just be a minor problem with the update.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I had a similar problem. It all started when I updated to uTorrent 3.0. First, browsers would no longer connect to the internet, but uTorrent did, then after a couple of minutes wireless would stop/crash. To get wireless back on you would have to restart the modem and then the whole thing repeats. uTorrent kept creating port forwards uTorrent (UDP) - UDP Any -> 25301 uTorrent (TCP) - TCP Any -> 25301 and Teredo ports. In 10 min. uTorrent would create about 50 of them if it was running. I switched to BitTorrent and don't have this problem anymore, but recently after accidently opening uTorrent, BitTorrent also started creating these ports, though unlike uTorrent, most of them were Teredo ports. I've found this topic http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=55365 and did this:

Run cmd as admin (right click > Run as administrator).

Then type netsh > interface > teredo.

To change the port type set state clientport=XXXXX.

Now everything is fine. I'm using Win 7 and BitTorrent 7.2.1. 25157

• 3 months later...

I run Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. Didnt't have any isues till upgraded to latest version and since then whenever I opened utorrent my connection died (wired connection router to pc directly) so I had to restart my pc. Today I unistalled utorrent and downloaded uTorrent 3.0 Build 25570 (x64) which was out 5 months ago on 23 August, 2011 and now it's working as it should!

• 1 year later...
I'm having a problem with the Belkin wireless router as well. I connect just fine, and it runs great for about 5ish minutes or so then my whole connection dies. All I have to to is reset the router (by connecting to the router and choosing Reset) and it comes right back up. The dead connection affects both my laptop (with utorrent running) and another PC hooked up that doesn't have anything running.

It doesn't happen running anything else, and up until the point the connection dies, I get a full-blown connection with no problems.

Anybody else have input?

I have the same exact problem!!! Belkin is just a POS I think! I see all sorts of internal Wireless cards work just fine and Netgear:) as well. I do not have a belkin router thank god but I am moving to netgear to stop this exact problem! I do not have any prob with any other download accept torrent programs and that I think is because of sheer bandwidth and port mapping programming it is using to communicate wirelesly with the router

Archived