Interesting Discovery..

HawkFlymm

I've been fighting uTorrent's speed problem for days. I have 2 computers, one uses a SMC router via a 10MB down 2mb up Business grade cable connection (and yes, port forwarding is inabled), the other is my laptop directly connected via a broadband cellular card. Both machine have one helluva time getting anything to come through at all. couple kB/s here may jump as high as 15 kB/s there but for the most part, anything I want to d/l is either infinite or 2 w 3d 17h out. Now, here's the interesting part. I downloaded one of the other programs (Azureus) and watched it pull down it's udate file via the torrent method at over 6MB down! Now I'm watching it pull down something at about 250 kB/s. Not a rocket but certainly respectable. That exact same torrent running through uTorrent was pulling down at something like 2.5 kB/s on the same computer. Me thinks there is a little something wrong with uTorrent. Any thoughts?

Me thinks there is a little something wrong with uTorrent

Thousands of people around the whole world using so many different PC hardware platforms (and windows OSes) and utilizing so many different internet connections are using uTorrent without any problems, but your conclusion is something wrong with utorrent only because it doesn't work at your home properly. Or maybe simply isn't properly configured?

I really suggest more humility in drawing conclusions for the future.

Your point is well taken. Although, something to remember is that I'm sitting in the middle of a forum about "speed problems" and there are many people having problems with little or no solutions. All I was stating is that the similar configuration on a different piece of software did not have the same issue. Now, it's possible there is stil la configuration problem but I've been working with computers and writing software for almost 30 years and if the settings are not easy enough for me to understand, then I would still say there is a problem with uTorrent albeit the inability to allow the moderately savvy user to get something better than 5 kB/s.

If you dig a little more in what biComet is, it's more a leecher than other clients (uTorrent and Azerus). Many tracker actually ban bitComet connections due to its nature of not helping the swarm to develop. In fact, bitComet probably kill swarms sometime if there aren't enough seeders and peers out there to get sucked dry. Unfortunately, people love to cheat and download faster, so bitcomet gained popularity. It's well documented that bitComet likes to connect to other bitComet over uTorrent. Things you mentioned in previous post is often due to the seeder and most peers are using bitComet, therefore you get crappy speed if your uTorrent client happens to connect to those peers/seeds. But if you had a bitComet client, it might actually get good speed for that very same torrent.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3531&p=1

Your experiences will vary unfortunately base on which torrent you are downloading. I have experienced nearly 200 kb/s per torrent download and sometimes 1 kb/s. It greatly depends on WHO you are connecting to, not really about which program you are using.

Perhaps you should stick with bitComet until to ran into some torrent you can't download, then see whether your opinion change. also, as in any online community, only the problems are posted, not how good things are running. If you go to bitComet board, you will see about the same amount of people have issues, if not more problems.

The most problem new uTorrent users are running into is how to control your upload rate (which affect your download rate). It's a balancing act and it should be a little easier. It does offer great control of what you want to do though.

BTW,

here is the newest post I found in some other forum (just posted) I visited

"Help. At times i dont know whether if its the traffic or my computer. i just installed Bicomet on my new computer and tried downloading the torrent from Sally. For abt 1 hr i see that there are at least 1-3 seeds with perhaps a couple of hundreds of peers. But i just can't see any form of downloading or uploading on my status. still 0.00% Anyone can help?"

just found it very funny to see this post couple minutes after I post the last one, lol

I'm sitting in the middle of a forum about "speed problems" and there are many people having problems with little or no solutions

Uh, well, actually no. It is not "many people", it is few people. Really, if you compare the number of people having problems here on forum with the number of peers identyfing as utorrent I connect everyday then it is almost nothing.

And yes, of course, it is always possible that there is some kind of bug, which manifests only at your computer. But such possibility is very low. And you are saying that it doesn't work at your both (different?) PCs.

Yes, two different computers with two different connection methods. That's what led me to my original statment. It wasn't a blind comment but as qualified as I could with the ammount of equipment I have. As it seems to be turning out, it's more what I'm requesting. Azerus still seems to behave MUCH better than uTorrent as far as global speed goes. Can't imaging what the difference there is. As an additional test I downloaded a torrent for a large video clip and it downloaded at lightening speeds. Seems like the computer geeks out there don't want to share their bandwidth much. Most pull down in the Bits per scond range not in KiloBits. Upping my # to 250 helped but I still can't get certain typs of files to pull down faster than 20K or so. Guess I'll just have to be patient and wait for it to mature. I've used many other programs in the past (LimeWire, Kazaa etc) and have never had this happen which is why it caught me by surprise.

Well, on my PC, I've tried many things. The latest was xx/512. I only deviated from the presets a couple of times without any luck and not knowing 100% what I was doing, I always went back to the presets. In teh advanced, the only thing I played with was the net.max_halfopen (something I read) and set it down a couple different settings. Currently it's at *5 (not sure what the asterisk indicates). Now, as far as the laptop was concerned, I believe I left it configured right out of the box and selected xx/256 or something like that as it's a broadband cellular card and gets about 1M down but only 256K up (if that). I'm currently using Azureus and have played with the settings quite a bit. Some items come down good (60 to 80kB/s) occasionally one comes down great (300K). but most run in the 20's and 30's. I'm looking at one that currently has 22 seeds, 73 peers and is at 3.3 kB/s. Maybe this is normal and I expect too much.

Archived