µTorrent 1.1.2 Feedback Thread

One question I have about the "Pre-allocate disk space" option... is µTorrent supposed to pre-allocate disk space ONLY if it is checked? I ask because I have it unchecked, and µTorrent preallocates all of the disk space when I start downloading.
Not to be impatient or anything, but I was wondering if someone could answer this =]

When uTorrent starts writing to a file for the first time, it will allocate space for the full file. That might explain what you experience.

One question I have about the "Pre-allocate disk space" option... is µTorrent supposed to pre-allocate disk space ONLY if it is checked? I ask because I have it unchecked, and µTorrent preallocates all of the disk space when I start downloading.
Not to be impatient or anything, but I was wondering if someone could answer this =]

When uTorrent starts writing to a file for the first time, it will allocate space for the full file. That might explain what you experience.

so what does checking "pre-allocate disk space" actually do then?

Maybe it pre-alocates the space for all the files in the torrent. :?

Maybe it pre-alocates the space for all the files in the torrent. :?

he said it does that anyway.. that's why I'm confused.

made another comparison between BitComet and µTorrent.

with BitComet I get 3 times faster speeds for seeding a torrent even that I'm connected to fewers peers. Very strange

..and uses a ton more resources and was banned by several websites, including Oink's.

that client is godawful. i gave it a chance 2 separate times, and it failed me both times. misreporting stats and sucking in general.

Bitcomet is no longer banned by any major website. Many people have complained about stat misreporting - but nobody has proved it. Most likely it is stupid ass users that are the problem.

it's banned by Oink's at one point, but now they let it back (as long as you're using 0.59 or later), and it's banned altogether by Pedro's (a private music site).

from Pedro's:

"Because BitComet keeps disrespecting our privacy flag, and because BitComet can be used (and is used) by cheaters, also: we hope to improve tracker performance, as BitComet is frelling our stats big time! So we have decided to ban BitComet. Not today, but tomorrow, from 00:00 friday august 6th 2005 to be exact. So if you are a BitComet user, please look around for alternatives. We can reccomend: Bittornado, Arctic, ABC, Mainline, ShadOws and Azureus. Please use an official client, not a modded one, if you do that you might find your account banned one day....

Thanx for your attention, the mod team & pedro img"

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere already...

but i sometimes have a problem being connectable when starting a number of torrents at one time.

for instance, i selected around 10 torrents and started them all at once. 7 of these showed me as being connectable but the other 3 showed me as being not connectable.

it can be fixed by simply stopping and restarting the torrent though.

just thought id let ya know....

Sp00k

PS: i am using v1.1.2

Archived