Great programs you use

Hazar

Funny how when you do one thing unrelated to the program that he doesn't like, he suddenly turns on it and says that it sucks, citing the most ridiculous reason.

Metatron, stick to Usenet if you love it so much, we don't need users like you breaking common rules of etiquette spamming the forum.

Unless you can disprove Google cache and prove me wrong, I'll just say this: don't sign up under two usernames and pretend to be separate users, jult/Metatron, just to make it look like your opinions have more weight than they really do.

@Firon: Metatron was the other username I suspect jult to be signed up under, and yes, it'll probably be pointless to ban him as well, since (if my hunch really is correct) he'll just come back under another IP address again.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metatron: I am not a side in this argument, but I would appreciate it if you could edit your response and refrain from using bad language and name calling. It does not reflect well on you or Julius, and it's not pleasant to read.

thanks.

VLC has a lot of bugs (especially playback problems).

@Firon: Hm... if mplayer indeed does have a GUI (I recalled something like this, but wasn't too sure), I doubt it's very functional or friendly, otherwise it would probably be used over VLC =P

VLC's got a lot of broken things, and bugs in general. The fansubbing scene hates it because of that, since stupid users use VLC then bitch about the videos not working because VLC is broken. :P It's got the worst implementation of ffmpeg out of everything using it.

Ultima: mplayer is relatively unknown in the Windows world, so it doesn't surprise me that few people use it. Plus, the most visible versions are the commandline ones, so that doesn't help.

I havent noticed bugs in VLC and been using it for a while now. A fine player as far as I'm concerned. I only use it to sample avi's or DVD's before burning, but I've never had a problem with it. Better than MPC in my opinion.

I'll check out mplayer, though. What's better about it? (..."because it was intended for Linux" doesnt count as an answer...lol)

MPlayer's just great all around -- a lot of multimedia applications are based around it for a reason ;P

Too bad it's basically a CLI program. I'm sure there are GUIs for it, but I don't know of any.

I've experienced playback problems with VLC, like stuttering sound (among other things). If it works perfectly for you, you can probably stick to it, since there isn't much other reason to switch.

actually, the mplayer.exe is included in mpui package. but it still lacking file association and remember volumn setting etc. which are mentioned in his roadmap. cool client.

btw, new mpc seems have divx xvid ac3 sort of all included in the exe now, but i still like ffdshow better cos i think it's volume normaliser is better than mpc.

MPC doesn't decode divx or xvid? And it's always decoded AC3/DTS (and does a better job than ffdshow).

If you wanna use volume normalization, you can let MPC decode it, and let ffdshow handled uncompressed audio, which means you can still use it to do the volume stuff. That's what I do.

Archived