Random port feature bug

joedogg

when this feature is turned on, the port is limited only by 4 digits (6881) port when it is checked. some torrents require 5 digit (65535) port and when the random port is checked it reverts back to a 4 digit port.

any1 have the same problem?

btw i luv utorrent and keep up the good work

private trackers require you to use ports above a certain range and not the default port. Using the default port is not recommended as a general rule anyway as some ISP's do traffic shaping and throttle your bt bandwidth that is flowing via that default port (6881 I think is the default but it's been so long since I used the default port than I can't remember it 100%).

• 1 month later...
The random range is limited to a four digit number, but I don't think it's a bug. It's probably done by intent.

I'd been wondering about that myself. Nobody from development has responded here, or if anyone has, the message is already deleted.

I've been clicking to get a four-digit random number and then adding a fifth digit manually.

the range is 3000-9999, it's intended.

it should probably be extended though.

7000-65535 would be nice, or user-settable bounds. But it's not a big thing, as we can always set our own. It's not like BitTornado, where if you're invoking it from Windows rather than the command line, the port parameters have to be set during the previous invocation for use the next time, and only while a .torrent file is open.

[Another feature of BitTornado that I don't miss in µTorrent is the spontaneous reboots; one from Azureus that I don't miss in µTorrent is the lockups.]

If I'm going to be stomping for any changes to µTorrent, it will be the two beefs I've posted elsewhere in this forum.

Archived