Problems with port forwarding.

HungryHobo

Still when I go into speed guide and click "test if port is forwarded properly" it tells me the port isn't open.

When utorrent's been running for a while I start to see requests coming in on high ports when I use a packet sniffer but still zero Kbs uploaded.

I've tried following the instructions for my router on this page:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/ZyXEL/P-660HW-D1/P-660HW-D1index.htm

Antivirus = clamwin.

firewall = windows firewall.

Utorrent is included in the windows firewall exceptions list.

I've set up a static ip, forwarded the port as the page said etc.

I'm using utorrent 1.6

- Yellow: no incomming connections

- Port 14695 does not appear to be open.

- upload limit: 92 kb/s upload slots:6 connections : 100 connections (global): 600 max active torrents: 6 max active downloads:5

- Operating system installed :Windows XP SP2

- Security software installed : Windows firewall, clamwin anti virus.

- Your list of running processes :

Process PID CPU Description Company Name

System Idle Process 0 95.45

Interrupts n/a Hardware Interrupts

DPCs n/a Deferred Procedure Calls

System 4

smss.exe 320 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation

csrss.exe 412 1.52 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation

winlogon.exe 436 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation

services.exe 480 1.52 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation

SRVANY.EXE 636

SCTThresholdMonitor.EXE 656

svchost.exe 680 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 740 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 776 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 820 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 892 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

spoolsv.exe 1000 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation

LVPrcSrv.exe 1044 LVPrcSrv Module. Logitech Inc.

scardsvr.exe 1064 Smart Card Resource Management Server Microsoft Corporation

cisvc.exe 1136 Content Index service Microsoft Corporation

cidaemon.exe 944 Indexing Service filter daemon Microsoft Corporation

CLCapSvc.exe 1148 CLCapSvc Module

CTSVCCDA.EXE 1176 Creative Service for CDROM Access Creative Technology Ltd

CLMLServer.exe 1192 NT CLMLServer Cyberlink

svchost.exe 1264 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

Runservice.exe 1296

MDM.EXE 1364 Machine Debug Manager Microsoft Corporation

RichVideo.exe 1392 RichVideo Module

svchost.exe 1460 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

uphclean.exe 1512 User Profile Hive Cleanup Service Microsoft Corporation

X10nets.exe 1612 X10 Module X10

wmpnetwk.exe 1680 Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Microsoft Corporation

CLSched.exe 604 CLSched Module

alg.exe 2060 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation

lsass.exe 492 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation

explorer.exe 344 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation

ClamTray.exe 1164 ClamWin Antivirus alch

WkUFind.exe 1800 Microsoft® Works Update Detection Microsoft® Corporation

jusched.exe 2036 Java Platform SE binary Sun Microsystems, Inc.

ctfmon.exe 2092 CTF Loader Microsoft Corporation

wmpnscfg.exe 2124 Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service Configuration Application Microsoft Corporation

GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe 2148 GoogleToolbarNotifier Google Inc.

notepad.exe 596 Notepad Microsoft Corporation

IEXPLORE.EXE 2172 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation

utorrent.exe 1036

IEXPLORE.EXE 3048 Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation

procexp.exe 3196 1.52 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals

- Exact router model(s), and exact modem model:

P-660HW-D1

Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

- ISP : esat BT

- Connection type:(DSL)

speed: 300Kb/s download

100Kb/s upload.

Your antivirus may have an anti-spyware feature that blocks unwanted internet traffic that's probably working against µTorrent.

I'm wary of spyware/adware as possible networking and stability issues...and this qualifies as that in my opinion:

I tested whether my port has been forwarded or not and came to know that it has not been.

I have learned how a port is forwarded using the router, but i don't know what is my router? I am on a LAN (probably WAN) that covers almost half of the biggest city of Pakistan (Karachi). (The server of the LAN is connected to the internet through what way I don't know)

Without even forwarding my port, I am able to download and seed (upload). So, I am wondering what is the need of port forwarding then?

I am using Windows XP native firewall and Mcafee Personal Firewall. Don't know if i have a router or not so that I should open the port in the firewalls.

God, I should have studied computers in my school and college years. I am finding all these technical stuffs very, very, very hard to understand. Yet I love Uttorent because it is giving me what i Want and I am also able to SEED (or am I? As on the main window of Utorrent software red icon is appearing which says " Not connectable. A firewall/Router is limiting your network traffic. You need to open up a port so others can connect to you") However, on the same window "Seeding" is continuously going on with the stuffs that i have downloaded. Seeding very often turns to "Queued Seed" for most of the "Seeding" stuffs though.

I am on a LAN (probably WAN) that covers almost half of the biggest city of Pakistan (Karachi). (The server of the LAN is connected to the internet through what way I don't know)

The size of the area is covered by your network doesn't matter, the question is if you have local (private) or global ip address.

If you have local ip address and no access to the server which is a gateway to the internet, then you can't do anything about it.

Without even forwarding my port, I am able to download and seed (upload). So, I am wondering what is the need of port forwarding then?

It's true, having port forwarded is not a MUST. But is highly recommended.

How to explain... let's assume you've forgot to pay this month bill for your phone and the phone company has warned you by disabling the possibility of dialing any number by you (mine does so...at first :) ) Yet, phone still works because when someone else dials you home you can talk as much as you want.

So, you still have connected phone, yet you can't dial anywhere... go figure the disadvantages because it's exactly the same when you are behind NAT/firewall without forwarded port.

After clicking "test if the port is forwarded properly" in the options ---> Speed Guide of the utorrent software, on the webpage that opens up, my ip is shown as: 202.133.73.182...

On my pc, In my Local Area Connection Setting Information it is shown as: 10.10.27.30

I am not sure which one of them is my actualy ip and whether the actual one is global or local.

What do you mean if i have a local ip i can't do anyting about it? Do you mean I will have to live on utorrent with the disgrace of being a leacher?

Actually, the problem is I don't know whether I have a problem or not. Main window of the utorrent software, in one place showing by the red icon that others can't connect to my pc, and in other place, right above, seeding and downloading is going on (most of the seedings have turned into "queued seeding" though).

I am totally confused.

I can't find disadvantages of not forwarding the port anywhere.

Please find the information of my PC that is displayed in Network Connection Details window, which is in the support tab of the Local Area Connection.

Physical Address: 00-20-35-22-9F-09

IP Address: 10.10.27.30

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 10.255.255.251

DHCP Server: 10.0.0.254

Lease Obtained: 2/5/2007 1:28:36 PM

Lease Expires: 2/6/2007 1:28:36 AM

DNS Servers: 10.1.1.2, 10.1.1.1

WINS Server:

Can you tell me which router am I using by the above information? Or is there any option in Windows XP or is there any software that can tell me what is the name of the router i am using? (At Portforward.com, where we are to go after when we receive the error that our port is not forwarded on the webpage after clicking on "test if the port is forwarded properly" in Options -----> Speed Guide, they have given a huge list of different routers e.g. 3 com etc. and we are to click on the name of the router we are using for getting the information on how exactly the port is forwarded for that router. I don't know which company's made router i am using or even that i am using a router)

I just want to eliminate all the doubts and get my port forwarded properly. Can't just sit relax after seeing that i am able to download and seed, but the "test if port is forwarded properly" shows that my port is not forwarded.

One thing more: at portforward.com, my external Ip (my router's ip) is shown as: 202.133.73.182. Can you tell me by this who is the manufacturere and what is the model number of the Router I am using?

Thanks for reading this long post. I really appreciate it. I found your "How to recognize fake torrents before stucking at 99.8% of file" very useful and beneifted a great deal from it. Thanks for that.

After clicking "test if the port is forwarded properly" in the options ---> Speed Guide of the utorrent software, on the webpage that opens up, my ip is shown as: 202.133.73.182...

On my pc, In my Local Area Connection Setting Information it is shown as: 10.10.27.30

You are behind the NAT, and you have IP from private network pool.

The 202.133.73.182 IP is the number of the most exterior router from your LAN which is doing NAT translation.

What do you mean if i have a local ip i can't do anyting about it?

You can't do anything about it because you don't have an access to the router(s) - only your network admins do.

Do you mean I will have to live on utorrent with the disgrace of being a leacher?

No. Being unable to forward ports doesn't have anything to do with being a leecher. In fact, it only makes you handicapped.

Main window of the utorrent software, in one place showing by the red icon that others can't connect to my pc

The others can't indeed.

But you still can to others... well, at least to the "others, who have their ports open".

And the direction of the established connection has nothing to do with the direction of data being transferred (the same as with phone conversation, right? :) )

and in other place, right above, seeding and downloading is going on (most of the seedings have turned into "queued seeding" though).

Yes, it is normal.

I can't find disadvantages of not forwarding the port anywhere.

1. you can only connect to the peers who have ports opened/forwarded (two firewalled peers cannot connect to each other). So there is less peers you can connect to

2. due to the some mechanism of torrent protocol it is more beneficial for the peer to be connected by other than to initiate connection by yourself. Alas, when you are firewalled you can do only the latter.

Please find the information of my PC

Your first router you are connected to (gateway) is 10.255.255.251, but it doesn't matter because, as I've previously said you don't have an administrative access to it.

You can do port forwarding when you have router for yourself - usually placed at your home, using it to share your connection for all PC's in it (or as harware firewall). And, of course, the exterior IP of the router has to have global IP address assigned by your ISP.

Can't just sit relax after seeing that i am able to download and seed

In your case - yes, you can :)

I found your "How to recognize fake torrents before stucking at 99.8% of file" very useful and beneifted a great deal from it.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'm really glad to know someone found it helpful.

Your antivirus may have an anti-spyware feature that blocks unwanted internet traffic that's probably working against µTorrent.

I'm wary of spyware/adware as possible networking and stability issues...and this qualifies as that in my opinion:

I killed GoogleToolbarNotifier and no good, Clamwin doesn't appear to have any such feature that I can find.

kurahashi:

What a relief!

I don't have words to express my gratitude to you for providing me a great deal of relief.

Indeed I am relieved to hear that there is no connection between being not able to forward port and being a leecher.

The disadvantages of not forwarding the port you told me are a bit bothering, but knowing the reason for being unable to forward the port that you told me (don't have permission to access the router) is kind of relief.

If I request my network admin (he is quite a suspicious person though) to grant me the permission to access the router (there is 0.1% chance at most that he will allow me), which router should I talk to him about? Is it the most exterior, NAT translating router "202.133.73.182" or is it the first router i am connected to (gateway) "10.255.255.251"? (the later one has quite more chances that my pc will be allowed to have admin rights to that router).

I will be appreciative of you if you could please clarify me that by "the first router you are connected to (gateway)" do you mean the device (with flashing lights) from where LAN cable is coming and getting placed into the LAN card of my pc?

Once again, thanks a million for your help.

Sincerely,

MJ

If I request my network admin (he is quite a suspicious person though) to grant me the permission to access the router (there is 0.1% chance at most that he will allow me)

Personally I'd estimate your chances at exact 0%, you may have slight chance if you try to ask (bribe? ;) ) him to do port forwarding for you by himself. This should be done at the 202.133.73.182 machine, but I suppose your admin know the best. The only thing he needs to know is the number of port you want to forward (have selected in utorrent). Well, and your local IP. That is - if he only wants to cooperate of course.

I will be appreciative of you if you could please clarify me that by "the first router you are connected to (gateway)" do you mean the device (with flashing lights) from where LAN cable is coming and getting placed into the LAN card of my pc?

I have no idea, it can be either router, switch or hub, sometimes even maybe a modem.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I don't know if this is the right section, but if it's not, can you please direct me to the right thread? I've got a DG834v2 router, and Zone Alarm firewall. I think I've done all the port fowarding settings correctly, and the port checker turns green too. But one thing I found strange was that I told ZA to log all the traffic and stuff, and I look at the Domains/IPs, and every now and then, packets are being SENT, not FORWARDED from my router (lan IP) to my open port. I don't see why, or how this happening?!?!?!?!?! I don't know if my router's been hacked, lol. don't think so. But currently, I've told ZA to block all the packets initiating from my modem to my utorrent port. I don't know if it's got any impact on my speed, cos it seems to vary/fluctuate from time to time, but seems fairly good, don't seem to notice any negative effects. Has anyone had this scenario before?

• 1 year later...

Hi -

I've been experiencing problems with uTorrent for the past few days, problems that I've never had before probably Sunday night (03-09-08). For some reason which I've yet to figure out, my uTorrent shows "No Incoming Connections" (indicated by the yellow/orange triangle w/exclamation point in the center on uTorrents Status Bar), and sometimes switches to the red circle w/exclamation point in the center. When this happens, all my downloads/uploads seem to be stuck at 0.0kB/s. I've tried changing the port multiple times, and everytime I check to see if the Port is forwarded properly, I get an "Error" message reading "Error! Port XXXXXX does not appear to be open" (I use XXXXXX because the port number is different each time. As I've already stated, I've tried changing the port multiple times, all to no avail. I am currently using uTorrent 1.7.6, and prior to a few hours ago, was using uTorrent 1.7.7. If there are any ways that I can remedy this issue, I'd be eternally thankful for the assistance.

exquisite.

Archived