excellent speeds!!!

nickv1980

Like you, I have just discovered utorrent.

Perhaps you can give help as to how you achieved such speeds. I have searched the FAQ repeatedly.

The Portforwarding page refers to a PeerGuardian2. Where is this, and something they call Protowall ?

How is the "connection type" etc determined? I connect with DSL and behind a firewall.

Any help greatly appreciated

its not easy when u dont know what your doing and can be frustrating too!! buddy there is quite alot involved in setting static ips and mac address , dns servers , port forwarding firewall reconfig bla bla .......etc etc the list goes on but i knew nothing once apon a time too, i found this site very helpfull and alot of the setup procedures have been covered and disscused many times on here even though they all differ from pc to pc the whole concept is basicaly the same in most cases :)

I already reached about 2,2MBytes/sec, with 2-3 torrents at the same time. I have a 20Mbit line though, so these speeds are my physical maximum.

One tip, do the tcp/ip hack(EvID4226Patch) and use TCP optimizer, and switch encryption to enabled in bittorrent(Preferences -> bittorrent tab)

Yeah... those are pretty nasty. Even my 386 has done better than that...

L_386utorrent.png.png

(I would have had it running longer than that, except that the computer keeps locking up. I don't know what the deal is there. It's not crashing, it's just locking up. Probably dying hardware...)

Download speed is not what matters in a torrent... downloading can WAIT! It's uploading that's my biggest goal... most of my torrents have over a "10" ratio. :D

Oh, and my speeds are usually between 200 and 300. On a 3mb line, that's kinda nice, seeing as though I never get those speeds through HTTP...

Excellent speeds, but not really....

I'm downloading at aprox.760-770 kb/s both up and down, but I have a 6mbit fiberoptic line.. Is it some limitations within the different bittorrent clients which makes impossible for me to exceed these speeds? I'm currently using uTorrent, and i'm extremely satisfied with it, but I have had the same problems other clients.. :/

I will be grateful for ANY help here, because I would like to use much more of my bandwidth!

TJ

mbit = megabit, not megabyte

uTorrent measures in bytes, not bits. There are 8 bits in a byte, so... when you're getting 770kb/s, you're doing 6,160kbps (aka 6.1mbps). Be happy. You are getting UBER FUCKING SPEEDS.

Unless of course you ARE talking about kilobits...

edit: The way to tell the difference between someone talking about bits and bytes is if someone puts the "p" in "ps" instead of "/s" - generally. It's kind of an unofficial way to show the difference. "kbps" is kilobits, "kb/s" is kilobytes. I think a more official way to denote it is to uppercase KB/s in kilobytes, and lowercase kbps for kilobits. Either way you'll usually never see people deliberately swapping these around when they know what they're talking about :D

If it's bytes or bits i'm not quite sure, but I've tried to send the same, let's say shows, to my mate, and he has the same connection that I have, and it flies to him in 1/10 of the time.. So I would say that I'm not wrong in this instance, but I'm also the noob who doesn't know anything about this.. I know it takes me close to an hour to download a 700mb file, and it takes me maybe 10 minutes to send it to my mate...

Do you have any explanation for that?

TJ

Archived