Did rogers recently find a new way to block bittorrent traffic

wheatguy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is new Rogers shaping policy (as of Feb 2007 it is thought). Using port 1720 or 1755 and enabling encryption will no longer work.

I haven't been able to figure out exactly what is happening with the new Rogers shaping policy. I have talked to other people from my area (same city within a few miles of each other) that are not experiencing any slowdowns, which leads me to believe that I have crossed some sort of "threshold" that is causing me to be targeted (although I am nowhere close to my monthly limit). I have also noticed that at times (like mid-morning weekdays) I get pretty respectable speeds (20-100 Kb/s per download), which leads me to believe that Rogers is more heavily shaping during peak hours (evenings and weekends I only seem to get a few Kb/s). I would appreciate it if anyone who is experiencing slowdowns with Rogers could post whether or not these observations jive with what they are seeing.

Mike

Yep, I'm with Rogers and since last week my downloads are much slower!

It's mostly the upload speeds that are affected, my up limit is set to 30k/s, but now, with 3 torrents going it'll only go up to 10-15kb/s. Download speed is affected but I still get like 50-150kb/s, witch isn't that bad, I can live with it but I miss my 300-400kb/s downloads!

Turning on forced encryption did not help at all.

And I do download a LOT, very close or over the 60gig limit every month, maybe I got targeted!?

Likewise, I have their high speed ultra and am now not seeding at all.. You can see this chart here, rogers is at the top...

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs#fn_2

I cant understand why only up until a few days ago ive been affected...

if you download a lot , then I download a ton, around 300gig a month (fansub addiction ^_^) hopefully I can find another way around this... (most likely end up switching providers)

The problem with changing ISP is that my only other option is Bell, and they have a 30gig limit and start charging 1.50$ per gig over the limit, not good if you download 60-100gigs a month! I'd rather just pay a little extra for newsgroups access...

But torrents still aren't that bad, I mostly download 350MB torrents and I still get those in 2-3 hours, and a 3gig torrent took 3 days, a lot slower than before but I can live with it for now.

EDIT

I just notice that the Rogers site says that: * An additional usage above the current bandwidth limit may be charged at $1.25 per gigabyte. --- did any of you ever get charged extra?

I also thought this was pretty funny: "Extreme: Our fastest residential service for sharing large files and much more"

I am with Rogers. I am not very familiar with the internet stuff and what they do to lower the speed. I was using bitcomet for about 2 years and just recently my DL speed has an improvement and it was about 30 to 60 kb/s. So, few days ago I switched to utorrent and now my speed is about 100-200kb/s. I don't know. Is it because of the utorrent or..........? I download mostly movies, and when I download AXXO dvdrips, with a lot of seeders I can see really good speed of average 200 kb/s and even it hit more than 400 kb/s today. This is not bad considering the fact that rogers is the worst ISP for torrents download. I have no idea for what else I can use the internet I pay for. For opening internet pages? Common. I don't pay 50$ to open e-mails and to look at websites. I need fast speed to download whatever I want and like. Hopefully I will keep my speed like that. If there is any change I will inform you.

As of a few days ago I've been limited with my torrents as well and am not very pleased. What I have found out thus far is obviously that ports 1720 and 1755 are now throttled as mentioned by rogers in the their new shaping plan as of the beginning of February. I have discovered thanks to a friend that port 181 however is not, and can not be throttled by rogers or any isp for that matter due to its use between embassies. I have tried this port and it does fix the download problem to an extent, but of course without much upload the my speeds are still very slow (anywhere from 30 - 150kbs). The other method that does work however is using a VPN site such as SecureIX. The only issue is login in and out when you need to and that their speeds are limited as well (200kbs or so). So what I would really like to find out is how they are throttling specific uploading of torrents and obviously a potential way around this...

OK, its time to fight back.

I too was having 300-400 and even a couple days 550+. Now I have seen a max of 75 with a lot of seeds. I ran communication tests and they had now problem with 400. I found that binary files were stored on the USENET so I tried the download of these. NO problem 350-400. I know a lot of people who payed the extra to get 800kps but are only getting 50 now - they are pi..ed off.

So here is the plan. Everyone, I repeat everyone MUST use the USENET to make Rogers pay just as much the our usage of uTorrent. Just download 24 hous 7 days a week continuously even if you don't need it - but I'm sure you can find things of interest. If they attempt to block that system too then that is more support for us because now the users of USENET will theaten to leave Rogers as well.

I used Xnews which is free. Found free USENET's such as news3.telebyte.nl. Check http://www.newsservers.net/FreeNewsServers.php

Lets get 'em.

Hi all,

I'm on Rogers Extreme and have been having the same problems for the past 2 weeks, this is right after they've increased their internet rates again. Fed up, I called up Tech Support yesterday (Feb 10/07), the guy I was talking to denied any knowledge of Rogers blocking any P2P services, but admitted that Rogers has introduced bandwidth regulation via throttling & traffic shaping. He even explain to me how if everyone was using P2P services at once it would bring down their entire network, poor Rogers.

So in a nutshell, the tech basically told me Rogers has sold and is continuing on selling internet services to consumers knowingly they do not have the proper network capacity or backbone infrastructure to fully support their advertised claims. Also, they do not expect consumers to use up their monthly bandwidth quota's, including those on "Extreme - For downloading & sharing large files, movies, music, etc." But now it seems that paying subscribers are using the allotted bandwidth, therefore big brother Rogers will just have to "regulate" bandwidth usage by degrading service and increase service fees, etc.

Well it's time to shop, bye bye Rogers internet, cable, phone and maybe cellular, due to a damn contract :( Currently looking at FCI Broadband. If anyone has any experience with this company please leave a comment, thanks :)

I use rogers extreme in toronto and for the last week or two i keep getting this tracker error "connection closed by peer"on all torrent & trackers is this a uTorrent problem or has rogers found a way to block you from connecting to the trackers.

Ive been torrenting for a few years & know all about the throttling that rogers has done in the past.I've been throttled more then once. but ive never seen anything like this.

anyone out there have the same issues? im i the only one?

any help or info would be a huge help!

dondadda, ya rogers must have found a new way to throttle p2p and torrents, i was getting good speeds now my upload is faster then download most of the time (although last night i was getting 100k combinded for all active torrents, now getting 20k)

at the very bottom of your utorrent box just left to the total speed is there a green circle with a check mark in it?

For few days my dl speed was OK, but today is about 10 kb/s, that sucks. Do they throttle the connection for everybody or for some users who download more gbs? If you download movies ones in a while, does it mean that they will stop throttle you? How can I check that they are throttling me?

The other method that does work however is using a VPN site such as SecureIX.

This is currently the best workaround I have found, and the only one that restores u/l speeds to acceptable levels. D/l speeds will be sub par but bearable, for now. I try to grab as much as I can off of usenet. We're stuck with this until a different encryption protocol is implemented.

Archived