Did rogers recently find a new way to block bittorrent traffic

wheatguy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we all need a new encryption scheme. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. I've heard that other ISP's just use Rogers or Bell's lines so it may be pointless to change providers. I may downgrade from Extreme to Express as I may no longer need the fast uploads but I want to wait a bit. Someone is bound to find a way in.

Damn Rogers.

Ive with Rogers in toronto ... As well.. but from the dounds of it sounds like uTorrent is giving up and stateing that if we dont get new isps then we cant use torrents anymore.

Some of us cant switch isp's .... I think maybe its time to downgrade are isp's and when u do it tell rogers ur not paying for high speed extreme if u cant even use your connection if enough people down grade they will remove the band..

ok so im in mississauga (next to toronto) and im using rogers extreme. I've started to download torrents about a couple weeks back and my speeds are never constant and fast. No ports increase my speeds and sexureix doesn't do anything at all... im probably going to switch to bell because they have way more constant speeds and they allow torrents... i used to think rogers was so until i found out that they blocked torrents; what a crap company

I dont know if this works, but someone on another site suggested reducing the number of peers you are connected to overall and per torrent. Apparently when more peers jump on a torrent, the speed reduces. I haven't downloaded anything since I heard this, but I'm going to give it a shot. It cant hurt.

Has anybody tried the port 181 idea that Industrial Slut suggested? Has it worked? Is this a safe port to use?

On a related note, all of a sudden one of my torrents has started to upload at 30-50 k when previously the highest I could get was a burst of 3 or 4 with Rogers throttling me. The really odd thing is that this torrent is showing a "connection closed by peer' message at the same time. I've got about 30 torrents in all and on average 5 are showing that message and 5 are uploading at about 1 k each. Truly strange.

Precisely. Complaints aren't going to get your point across -- I'm sure they were fully aware of the complaints that would be forthcoming when they made the decision to throttle. That they went full-speed ahead with it, and are playing hardball with it goes to show that they won't care about customer complaints.

Due to contract durations, they may try to make you pay a penalty for quitting early. You may have grounds to contest it on the basis of failure to deliver services. Contracts negotiated "under duress" (such as being a monopoly in the area or arbitrary rights of one party to change the conditions of the contract while the other side cannot seek redress) will almost certainly not hold up in court.

Legal action is usually too much hassle. Just end the contract at the end of the current term. If thats another 12 months (because your term just ended and it has been lengthened by another year) then there isn't much you can do. Read the contract (and related terms) because it has to specify it in pretty much any country I know off. Don't forget you usually have to do cancel at least 30 days before the current term ends (this exact period can also be found in your contract/terms). Theoretically you could send a letter now canceling your subscription per end of term even if that is 12 months away and state its because of bittorrent is throttled. If enough people do that they 'might' change their policy and you can cancel you cancellation.

Failure of delivery because bittorrent is throttled usually doesn't hold up because pretty much every ISP leaves room for that in their terms to which you have agreed when you signed up. Only if that specific article is violating your laws it could lead to something but then again legal action is usually not worth it.

Archived