Did rogers recently find a new way to block bittorrent traffic

wheatguy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think that false advertising of 'uncapped' usage and broadband speeds would qualify by itself as failure to meet expectations. Some people upgraded to "extreme" just because it was advertised as no monthly quota limits. But the deal has changed! Pray it does not change again!

It's not monthly quota that's catching people here... It's simply throttling that's not outside the scope of their TOS, as far as I can see.

@tawhid111: What you said hasn't been the case for a long time now. Rogers has been throttling that port (at least for a lot of people) since at least a few months ago.

Ultima, it is stated or implied in many ISPs TOS that you will be throttled if you exceed your monthly quota...or to handle congestion. However that does not mean throttled all the time -- or to a tiny fraction of the rated max speed! Which is what many are experiencing.

"Speeds up to" suggests that you will at least occasionally get in the neighborhood of that speed, like at least half sometimes.

Since October 2006, I have not been able to view my total upload/download usage on the Rogers website. I just checked now and am able to see it. I do know that it was unavailable for a few months. As per there techs. I'm at 56,000 mb, of my total, 102.4000 bandwidth alotment for the current month.

Earlier today I was downloading at 496 kb/s. I averaged 165 kb/s on that file called office.org.

Seems to be hit and miss with me. I'm not sure how to tell a good seed from a pumpkin seed.

I uploaded right at 70 kb/s today to someone. That's right where I set my u/L limit to be.

I would bet it's all about bandwidth limit for the current month, if your with rogers.

I'll make sure I stay within that limit.

Regards: TennesseeLamb

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure I haven't been over the monthly limit for a good 3-4 months now, since I haven't downloaded crap.

SecureIX is blocked for me, none of the ports work, and worst of all, I can't get Bell or ANY OTHER DSL service in my area. All I can get is Rogers.

I'm royally screwed.

• 2 weeks later...

As from another post:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=20093&p=2

-----------

Regarding SecureIX.com:

Thank you, the solution works.

For those who state they still get slow speeds:

The free account is highly limited at 256kbits, it has nothing to do with "overload" - but that the maximum speed is similar to what Rogers has throttled it to.

The premium account is 5mbits, which is fine.

I now have my old speeds. (350kb download, 40k up - right now)

I resent having to spend the extra $10, but what can ya do

Archived