Need help: 0.5-3kB/s downloads are irritating

swollenpickles

I've been trying to speed up my downloads because at the moment the thing is moving at a snails pace. Here's a list of my gear I'm using:

* Siemens SpeedStream 4200 ADSL modem

* D-Link DI-524 wireless router version B4

* Laptop with Windows XP

* uTorrent 1.6

A majority of the time I get the little yellow icon (no incoming connections) and sometimes I get the red icon. I've never had the green icon. Downloads are on average 2-3kB/s.

When I test if the ports are forwarded correctly I get this: Error! Port 10001 does not appear to be open.

I've followed the port forwarding guide three times now and have had no luck. This is the guide I've been using:

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DI-524/Utorrent.htm

From what I've read on various threads in this forum the modem may have it's own router/firewall which is causing that double NAT thing. I'm just not sure how I can resolve the issue. If anyone can help me figure this out it would be much appreciated. I've had three sleepless nights trying to figure out where I've screwed things up! :P

One other thing, I'm a rank novice when it comes to routers and firewalls etc. so any simple (routers for dummies?) english instructions will be doubly appreciated.

Cheers

Thanks, I've read through that though, that's how I came to the conclusion I had a double NAT problem. The speedstream is connected to the DI524 which is connected to the two computers at my place. So am I right in saying I need to set the speedstream to bridge mode? How do I do this? I've logged into the speedstream modem/router management interface but can't find a bridge mode option.

The top picture almost certainly should be set to dynamic IP address. This is for your router's INTERNET address to remain dynamic and defined by your ISP. It is your computer's LAN address which needs to be static.

The bottom picture is port forwarding and what you need to configure.

You need to choose "select Protocol" and set it to UDP AND TCP if you want to use µTorrent's DHT...or just TCP if you do not use DHT.

The port range should be the same port, the one you defined in µTorrent as the incoming connections port. So if it's 63432 in µTorrent, then the port range would be 63432 - 63432 in your router's port forwarding screen.

The bottom circle should be lit which says: "Redirect selected protocol/service to IP address:"

The ip address should be the static LAN ip your computer uses...which is almost certainly in the 192.168.x.x range or 10.x.x.x range...unless you did something REALLY strange!

Your computer's LAN ip must be in the same subnet as your router's LAN ip "gateway" or you will almost certainly have problems. This means if your router's LAN ip is 192.168.0.1 that your computer needs to be something from 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.255 -- anything else won't work! (The 192.168.0.0 address is generally resevered and cannot be used.)

Hm...? The first picture is one of the D-Link router's interface, and it needs to be set to have a static IP. The modem's IP configuration shouldn't be touched. I'd suggested bridged mode (which is essentially disabling the NAT), but swollenpickles can't find the setting, so the only thing left is to manually set the router's IP to be static, then forward from the modem to the router.

To log into the dlink i always use this address: 192.168.0.1 so is that the dlinks static ip and the ip i should forward the speed stream to?

Cos when I do that, i enter the port i have listed in uTorrent and click apply in the speedstream screen i get this:

Form Input - Error

NAPT server IP address is not a valid host LAN address.

If I understood how to fix it I wouldn't keep asking. The user manual may explain everything if you already have some knowledge of this sort of thing. I've followed the instructions but something mustn't be quite right.

Here's what I'm trying to do,

1. port forward from the speedstream to the d-link (using 192.168.0.1 as the Dlinks static IP);

2. Port forward from the dlink to the laptops static IP.

Why do I get this message when I try do port forwarding with the speed stream?:

NAPT server IP address is not a valid host LAN address.

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Siemens/4200/Utorrent.htm

Archived