Now slow downloads with Pipex

mrgarnett

I'm a Pipex customer on a 1mb connection. Until today I have been able to download at full speed using Utorrent (previously Azureus) using port 50210 and encryption. I've been doing this for about ayear I think after I found that they were throttling down my PTP downloads.

From today my speed has dropped to a mx og 20kbps whether I d/1 one or more torrent at a time and from different trackers.

I've changed no settings and have tried both clients above but with the same results.

Speed test shows up ok & Pipex says there is no problem with their service.

Have they come up with a new way to shape traffick & if so is there any way around it?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just came here looking around for why i am also getting slow speeds, if any speed at all (0kbs-5kbs). I'm with Pipex upto 8MB and am getting nigh on no speed at all.

The DHT isn't connecting to any nodes now. I have just upgraded to the newest utorrent as i was previously on an old version to see if that fixed it but nope.

Got loads and loads of seeds so i know it's not that but it's only happened in the last few days. Think it will speed up once midnight hits though.

Edit - I'm connected to nodes now.

Oh and i have also noticed my upload also doesn't seem to be doing much, it's pretty much mirroring the download speed or it'll be uploading a little more. Varies.

I know Pipex throttles Bitorrent, but for the past year at least I've been using encryption to bypass their throttling.

As a member of several exclusive and private trackers I'm used to maxing my connection with Bitorrent downloads, the problem that we are reporting and looking for more information on is that suddenly Pipex seem to have found a way to throttle encrypted Utorrent downloads.

If true this has consequences for every other UT user, because if Pipex have a working method surely they will share it with other ISPs.

With more information perhaps the UT team can code a new method of encryption to stay one step ahead of the ISP's?

I'm on Pipex too. And have just noticed poor speeds in the last day or so. However, if I try Open Office, it screams down, so I'm not sure what is going on. My other downloads, 2 at the mo, are well seeded with tons of peers too, and would normally come down fairly fast. I tried OO to see what would happen. So this is strange, I can't see it is possible for Pipex to differentiate between one torrent and another.? If anyone figures out WTF is going on, post it here. My 12 months with Pipex have been OK, but finish in March, so it looks like bye bye. I download stacks of Open Source stuff too, so I don't need slow speeds

Downloading openoffice now and it's hovering around 21 even though there are 100s of seeds.

I've been capped at 21 for about 2 days now. I don't know if I'm on a special list or what. If it was everyone there'd be a lot more posts about it.

caf4926, I don't understand how OO worked for you. It doesn't make a lot of sense does it.

For what it's worth I'm on the 2mb package (whatever they call that now)

I rebooted the router several times to get new IP numbers and because at intervals it gives me one wildly different and I hoped that would help. I even tried spoofing the Mac number in the router in case they were blocking by that, but no change.

I've been with Pipex a long time, but when my current contract is up I will find an honest ISP to do business with.

Well I just tested again and openoffice went up to 75 which is pretty good considering its now peak time. The other ones were really low, but that doesn't mean a lot in the evening so I will try again tomorrow.

None of it makes any sense so perhaps they are testing some new system and we are seeing it being turned off and on again

I will be leaving Pipex. I have been looking at Eclipse, who are in the list of bad isp's, but I know others on Eclipse and they are ok other than 6pm to midnight everyday (peak time). The forums show many complains though, mostly about recent downtime and 8mb customers stuck at 2mb.

Also of interest is adsl24 http://www.adsl24.co.uk/ they are part of Entanet

Same Problem here. 20 kb/s max and i'm paying for an 8.mb connection. It seems like its not just utorrent either, I've started getting really slow speeds downloading from sites like gamershell.

I don't understand how a company can legaly sell something as "unlimited" when their fair usage policy is basically a way of limiting how much you download.

In their fair use policy is there anything either expressly said (or implied) about "bandwidth hogs", "monthly bandwidth limits/quotas", or "no servers allowed"?

If they have a monthly bandwidth limit, have you exceeded it?

The more nebulous term "bandwidth hogs" means they can declare anyone that and persecute them.

"We have detected you've been downloading steadily for the last 12 hours straight at over 100 KB/sec, so we are throttling your connection to 192 kilobits/sec speed to prevent your abuse of the shared resources."

...or something like that!

Me too! Was affected when pipex first introduced traffic shaping but found encryption successful in working round that........until the past few days when none of my torrents are moving up or down over 20 kb/s any time of day!

Seems Pipex are one step ahead.........here's hoping UT team can find a solution!

Archived