Now slow downloads with Pipex

mrgarnett

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I' starting to get annoyed now.

I've been with pipex for about 3 years now, and they introduced their traffic shaping last year. The bypass wasn't a problem (utorrent and azureus) then but now they are taking in all encrypted traffic, even if it is from a webpage.

I initially noticed this about 3 days ago, when all of a sudden my downloads plummeted from 500+ down to 22kbps.

Not only this, when i noticed my speeds were slow, i tried to log into a website and it is just blank...doesn't even load. I have tried it when im not downloading, aswell as on my laptop...nothing.

Now the thing that really ticks me off is that i am paying a lot of money for their service (i am on the 8-meg) and it claims to be totally unlimited. Bol***s

The other problem is that i cannot move until the end of the year, because they have now intorduced yearly subscriptions. I keeping a very close eye on my account to see if they change it, that way they void the contract and i can move *big smile*

Is there any of you who know about another ISP who aren't asses

p.s. sorry for the long post

I just upgraded my Pipex account from 2MB to 8MB 10 days ago and now I'm stuck at 20-22KB/s max on Bit-Torrent even though I used to be able to max my 2MB connection using encryption.

It looks like they found out how to limit the encrypted traffic about 4 days ago, that's when my speed dropped but it was unstable as I managed to get above 20KB/s a few times but the last 2 days it's been dead on 20KB/s, so it looks like it's here to stay. I phoned a friend on the same service and he told me that his connection was fine but he'd been conencted for 8days so when he restarted his torrents were running at 20-22KB/s Max aswell.

Having just upgraded my service package I'm bound to a new 12 Month contract so I hope this limit doesn't stay, I didn't get an 8MB connection and unlimited usage allowance to browse web pages.

Switeck's post about them throttling if you have 20+ incoming connections to the same port sounds like it could be right, I'll try running a torrent with less connections when I get home and see if there's any difference.

Registered here to share my views of crappy Pipex Internet Services.

I have been with Pipex 4 years and they have been great untill the asses brough Bulldog Broadband and this when "Pipex" went downhill and became crap. It seemed like they recruited new telephone staff who can't speak english properly also :S. Most of the techical support are english but do they understand basic crap like trace rt NOOOO! al lthey know how to do is read from a CARD and say its all BT PROBLEM!

Yes im not just capped at 20kbps on utorrnt im capped on 20kbps all over this means 20kbps to share between 3 greedy PC'S :). I have requested my mac code 7 times and what do they do they send me a email from abuse@pipex.net saying i have downloaded a game illegally yes this is quake 3 thats been out since 2001 ? like wtf they claim this as "Copyright Infringment". Why Quake 3 i downloaded 400 albums :S. I really had enough of pipex they have became mainstream money greedy sh**ts. I recommend you all switch to Zen Internet they seem like a great provider who care and don't throttle 50GB cap is more than enough for most people.

Good luck anyone who requests there MAC code because Pipex will not let you leave propably without a day in court they are this evil imo :)

"All the Hassle you can handle"

To be fair. i agree totally with ava.

Im not going to do it, but i don't think they can do anything to us in court.

Yes they can say that we were downloading illegally, but all they can do is prove it with lots of encrypted stuff. we can just turn around and say "its not illegal, prove to me its illegal"

But nobody can be arsed now a days.

I've got to wait until October to change the provider (and believe me...i will change)

I have already contacted Pipex anonymously and swore at them calling their service "robbery" for the money.

Ava, you should agree on this. If we are paying for the top-of-the-list service, we shouldn't get limited downloads. Yes, they throttle our download speeds on port 8080 (which cannot be changed) but when they advertise their service, they should state this as a download limit.

Is everyone being restricted 24/7? According to PipexT&C's they reserve the right to throttle connection at peak times (but

in the case of a specific a/c being throttled outside of these times an email notification will be sent out). But, my connection

is constantly screwed if torrents are being downloaded. At the moment I have a down rate of 27kbps (one torrent at 11.6 &

an ftp download) If I disable the torrent my xfer rate on the FTP goes up. Whats really annoying is that I run utorrent or Azureus

with the various encriptions & random ports that are supposed help against throttling.

My connection is being crippled!! I can accept losing speed at peak times, even though I pay through the nose for unlimited

downloads, but this capping is ridiculous and in my mind unfair. Since Pipex bought Homecall they seem to have lost direction or

at least adopted Homecall's infamously poor customer services. I'm not bound to a contract so I'm now in search of a new ISP......

any ideas?

Another one in the same boat here. No emails or notifications from Pipex but the same ~20k speed. This has been happening all evening (and day as far as I can tell) but I did try to get Open Office and that gave the sort of speeds I would expect. Puzzling.

Very unhappy nontheless and will likely be ringing to cancel before the week is out.

Pipex seem to cap when they like im avid gamer who likes to game whenever my girlfriend aint online but if i play at peak time i get 20kbps and around 50 packetloss this is dreadful. Times they cap 3pm - 1am in my experience d/l or play not in these hours and you get a faboulous connection which is working at 8mb and guess what zero packetloss. Pipex has seriously went on a mass ad campaign and attracted a large customer base and there servers obviously cannot cope. I think they need to buy more bandwidth off BT or something like that but they won't so they cap us and think we are all 10 iq chavs and won't notice the speed decrease. I meant in 2003 when i have a fantastic connection and i used to download loads of albums very quick :).

Trying to cancel is difficult with pipex and im on currently on a 12 month contract because i wanted the 8mb broadband which im only recieving at 1am onwards lame asses. My contract runs out december but imo pipex have broke the contract by not providing a good enough service.

I not played a cup match in online gaming for over 4 months because i got my ass kicked in the last becausei had 50 pl every game.

Pipex are "WANKERS" Point needed to get off my chest lol.

Faster speeds may be due to peering arrangements between ISPs. On the Open Office torrent, you may have found a ip that's fast due to no throttling on your ISP's part. Your ISP may not be throttling incoming "business" ip ranges just because otherwise many/most web pages would be slowed.

Well I've just had a look at ZEN broadband http://www.zen.co.uk/Broadband/athome.aspx and reckon I will be looking for MAC address from Pipex shortly.

Will be paying the same price as I currently do but will get 8meg instead of 2, and a 50GB monthly cap (rarely hit 40 anyway), and only a 1 month minimum

contract :) Did notice this however: http://www.zen.co.uk/Broadband/athome.aspx?page=510. But at least they are being upfront about it. In off peak

time now and my torrent xfer rate is 27kbps!! woohooo!! about 9 yrs to download anything..... well, at least 1/2 day for a 700Mb linux distro ;)

Yeah do not worry about that peak saying of 2mb its just so customers do not complain during peak hours. I will going for Zen shortly after i got his god damm mac code of pipex imo Zen are alot more stable and undersubscribe because who has heard of Zen on the TV. Advertising on tv = death of internet providers. I think only AOL Broadband is the stable big name ISP but they indeed do have the money :).

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I thought I'd share the following so that it may help some of you.

I'm on Pipex and was in the same boat with torrents apparently throttled even with encryption on. This is what I did to get my speed back:-

Go to Start—> Settings-—> Control Panel—> Add or Remove Programs, click on Add/Remove Windows Components.

Click on the Network Services line, then click Details.

Uncheck Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client.

Uncheck RIP Listener.

Uncheck Simple TCP/IP Services.

Uncheck Universal Plug and Play selected.

Click Next, Finish, etc and reboot.

Make sure SSDP Discovery Service and the Universal Plug and Play Device Host are stopped and disabled in Services too.

You don't really need all this upnp on. :-)

Tunku

Well I rung them at Lunchtime talked to a nice guy and he generated my mac code on the spot even though im under a 12 month contract so yeah ring up and request your mac i heard from tomorrow its compulsory for ISPs to give out mac code under requests i don't know for sure i just read from somewhere.

Woo Switching to Zen now funny how im uncapped at 700kbps now since they gave me my mac are they tryin to prove something. Torrents are still capped though :(

I have had similiar problem, gone from download of 500kbs to 20. i spoke to pipex technical support, they tried to blame line first. but he went away n checked n stated that technical side have been testing some new software n this has caused some customrs to experience slow downloads, but he stated it should be rectified soon as thye are aware of the issue and are investigating

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I thought I'd share the following so that it may help some of you.

I'm on Pipex and was in the same boat with torrents apparently throttled even with encryption on. This is what I did to get my speed back:-

Go to Start—> Settings-—> Control Panel—> Add or Remove Programs, click on Add/Remove Windows Components.

Click on the Network Services line, then click Details.

Uncheck Internet Gateway Device Discovery and Control Client.

Uncheck RIP Listener.

Uncheck Simple TCP/IP Services.

Uncheck Universal Plug and Play selected.

Click Next, Finish, etc and reboot.

Make sure SSDP Discovery Service and the Universal Plug and Play Device Host are stopped and disabled in Services too.

You don't really need all this upnp on. :-)

Tunku

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Can someone explain why/how this would make a difference.

Thanks.

thought I would add a update

Today 14/2/07 have full speed on Pipex

But I have already use the MAC I asked them for on Monday. V. Easy to get too.

Don't know or understand wtf Pipex were up to. Maybe they were hoping a load of us would jump ship!

There really needs to be more regulation on sellers of broadband in UK. All this "Unlimited" bull when its not, and FUP's that give them the right to do whatever. And the assumption that all bit torrent traffic is illegal, when its not.

I really like UT, even though I'm a Linux user, its great for me.

Archived