Now slow downloads with Pipex

mrgarnett

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why it works. I suspected a windows update, because when I was rebuilding a PC the other day, torrents were fine, once all the updates were in torrents were down to 20 kbs again. A new bunch of windows updates have just come out, at least on this PC. Maybe one of these fixed whatever the problem was, as people seem to be reporting their speeds are back up. Who knows :-)

I had the same problem over the last couple of days so I called pipex. The person I spoke to completely denied that there was ever a problem and that they hadn't been doing any work or testing any new software out. I'm now getting slightly better speeds in the 60kb/s range. I also stopped forwarding the port to my router and just let it randomise the port and that seemed to help aswell. Could it possibly be a port throttle when they detect too much traffic on a non standard port.

Just been hearing that the throttling software Pipex use, Ellocoya, is now apparently able to throttle encrypted traffic too. My "fix" doesn't seem to be affected yet. Could it be that having certain bits of Windows networking switched on, allows an ISP to detect the traffic type better, or something?

You can tell I don't know anything about networking protocols and am guessing violently :-)

Had the same problem as everyone else it seems here... my speeds have been all over the place but mainly around the 20kb/s range for several days... but theyre back again now... just over 800kb/s now, which has put the smile back on my face...

Hope everyone elses is back to norm...

I have a 1mb connection and am currently getting a massive download speed on average of 24k (20k up) on the one torrent I'm trying to download . Last night at midnight I noticed the speed shoot up to 80k . I'll try to have a look and see if it does the same tonight . Any isp recommendations ?

Zen seem really expensive :-0 . Monthy Cost £24.99 and only 20gig a month allowance (£1.27 a gig after that) . I'm a little too tight :-)) . I like the smallprint for an 8mb connection :

"Actual download speeds will be no higher than 7150Kb

It is likely that speeds no greater than 2Mb will be achieved at peak usage times."

Be interested to hear how you get on if you get time .

Well it's now past midnight and my torrent is now downloading at 6k (average during the download now 13.5k) . Oooeeeer madam . 103seeds , 517peers .

Bloody crap :-(( . Could be the torrent but I don't see how all those peers could be throttled . Think I'll give up for the night .

I've given up downloading at the mo as I'm soleseeding a file but I was only connected to around 9 seeds and 36 peers . I tried stopping the torrent to connect to different sources , reconnecting , rebooting etc etc . I'll try again later today when I've finished seeding . Maybe all the sources were of a dubious nature purposely slowing down to pee me off :-))

"Actual download speeds will be no higher than 7150Kb

It is likely that speeds no greater than 2Mb will be achieved at peak usage times."

Well thats alot better than 20kbps at all times with Pipex!!!

I pay 34.99 with Pipex for 2Mb unlimited, I was told I was due an 8Mb upgrade last May or so! But no sign of that. Moving house soon so Pipex will not be moving with me.

On a brighter note: I have been getting 198Kbps for the last 3 or 4 days, but will it carry through the weekend.............

Antho .

Isn't that 20kbps pipex download speed just related to torrents though , or do you get shite speeds with all downloads , like over ftp ,http , pop3 etc ?

I get speeds of maybe 100kbps with non-torrent downloads from my 1mb line .

Maybe Zen will be shafting torrents as well .

Who are you going to go with in the new pad ? Decided yet ?

Pipex is shit fullstop lol. Zen seems like a nice company and best business ISP you pay what you get. Stuff these mainstream providers all they want is money and don't give a crap about service.

We are delighted to inform you that your Zen 8000 Active account will be

activated by midnight on 21/02/2007

:):) Fast simple Zen f pipex lol.

I will of course post my opinions on when i get Zen :)

"Antho .

Isn't that 20kbps pipex download speed just related to torrents though , or do you get shite speeds with all downloads , like over ftp ,http , pop3 etc ?

I get speeds of maybe 100kbps with non-torrent downloads from my 1mb line"

Yea, last weekend, as soon as I started any torrent my total bandwidth was strangled. i.e torrent + ftp got a total 20kbps~35kbps & ftp alone was in the 90's still below my norm of 190'ish.

Will probably switch to ZEN when I move, more down to the 1 month contract than anything else! But on their site they do say they manage p2p as do every other ISP. I don't really mind being "managed" at peak times but last weekend was a 24/7 event where Pipex killed everything.... I pay a premium for unlimited and Pipex punished me for using it :(

An olde boy down the road has asked me to install the "free" broadband from Sky pretty soon (when he's notified he's switched on) . I'll let you know what it's like (though I hear it's pretty dire) . I think it's around £15 a month for the base TV service and broadband is a £20 setup fee (con) and £5 for 40gb a month at 8mb . Or maybe I'm not understanding their fee system properly :-) . Bound to be a con like everything else in this country .

Oh well , I managed to eventually complete my torrent download . Average download speed 12.8 kbps . Totally crap .

Started a new torrent today (just one torrent going) . Average download speed so far is 6.9kbps after 2hr17m . quel citron . Just over the speed I got from my old v90 dialup modem years ago .

I am currently with ZEN and have been with them for over 12 months. They are a lot more expensive than most other providers, but you get what you pay for. At off peek times download speeds are 700kps+. At peek times they are 150kps+, but normally I will get 250kps+. Most of you will know with P2P the speeds depend on the tracker and the people connected. Upload speeds are allways 45kps+.

It is a monthly contract, so if you are not happy you can cancel after one month and not 12 months.

The only downside is the 50gb cap. This can be reached very quickly. The only plus side of the cap is that it does not include your uploads.

I have never had a complaint about my usage, even when I was on the unlimited package.

I had the same problem as you guys when I was on Tiscali. I just ignored all their emails of complaint and eventually after 2 months they kicked me off. I kept the modem, join ZEN and never looked back.

If you want hassle free surfing and P2P I would recommend ZEN

Zen are just a little too expensive for my taste I think . Would be good if I were a dedicated gamer but all I really want is one thing to watch in the evening . My torrent yesterday , which I gave up on temporarily again , managed an average download speed of 13.9k over 9 hours , but interestingly , as an experiment , I tried to download , via torrent , Ubuntu (a Linux distro) at the same time for a few minutes and was getting 60k down while giving nowt back . Could it be that Pipex are slowing down only those torrents where the tracker is slightly dubious (if you know what I mean) .

Archived