Creating DHT entry node

SMF206

I hope you all can help me out with this one:

I'm using uTorrent V1.6 but I don't want to connect to the standard router.utorrent.com entry node.

How can I manipulate the standard router.utorrent.com node call?

I understood that it is possible to edit the torrent files en put in an extra node entry. What tool can I use to edit the node field?

Can the utorrent client also be an node entry in the DHT network?

If not what do I need to create a node entry in the DHT network?

Lots of questions but I can't find any specific answers on the utorrent forum.

Greetings,

I'm using uTorrent V1.6 but I don't want to connect to the standard router.utorrent.com entry node.

Why don't you want to connect to the standard entry node?

How can I manipulate the standard router.utorrent.com node call?

You don't need to.

I understood that it is possible to edit the torrent files en put in an extra node entry. What tool can I use to edit the node field?

You'd need to write one, since there are no current torrent editors which do so.

Can the utorrent client also be an node entry in the DHT network?

Any DHT "client" node is also an entry node by means of how the network is constructed.

I don't want to let DHT connect to the internet. However I want to use DHT in a big WAN infrastructure because of it's great routing capabilities and therefore minimizing the WAN traffic.

The standard tracker, announces random sources and that is causing a lot of traffic (over the WAN).To prevent this I have to create individual trackers on each location. DHT would be great in this situation.

If the utorrent client cannot connect to router.utorrent.com the DHT protocol doesn't seem to work anymore. When I open a trackerless torrent it never finds it's source (even when I reroute router.utorrent.com)

I hope you understand my goal.

uT isn't restricted (and hasn't been restricted) to boostrapping only from the router.* addresses.

It is possible for individual torrent files to include additional DHT bootstrap nodes which can then be used instead of the defaults (if the defaults are down). I pushed for this capability early in DHT support in uT.

According to your own reply from another post it should be possible to include additional DHT bootstrap nodes.

Now I was wondering HOW!

I have already tried this trick in a virtual environment completely isolated from the internet.

The bootstrap needs to have some reliable sources to announce to new clients.

I think this could or should be done in two ways:

- Edit the torrents and enter some different reliable nodes (there is a node field but I have no clue how to edit it).

- Create a bootstrap for new clients (I think this could be a normal uTorrent client with reliable adresses).

The first option fails because there aren't any torrent editors that can be use to adjust the node field.

The problem with the second option is that I do not how I get the adresses injected from reliable nodes. The 'bootstrap client' that I was plan to use, is constantly trying to connect to the 'outside world' and DHT is failing to pick up local addresses.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong here. Any suggestion is welcome!

• 3 weeks later...

Today PB1DFT and I did some tests in order to setup our own DHT server.

uTorrent itself is also working as DHT server as long as the right ports will be used. This are the steps to create you own local DHT server:

1 - point router.utorrent.com via DNS (or hosts file) to your SEED server

2 - Disable PEX on all uT clients to be sure that connections will be made via DHT

3 - Create a trackerless torrent

4 - Configure the SEED server with uTorrent on port 6881

5 - Ping from the clients to router.utorrent.com. It should resolve the IP address from the SEED server.

6 - Connect from different subnets / VLANS with clients with the trackerless torrentfile.

7 - Watch the status flags

Conclusion:

All local clients that are local to the SEED server are not connected via DHT. The H status is not displayed.

All remote clients are showing the H status.

More interesting even is the fact that The SEED server is functioning as router when machines cannot reach each other because of VLAN restrictions.

• 2 years later...

Yes, this is an ancient topic but I am bumping it because I still wonder myself why the hell someone just don't invent a really trackersless system? I mean scanning the network for a purpose of finding bootstrap nodes is not that impossible. Or is?

I'm starting to be annoyed by everyone talking avout "trackerless torrents" because such thing just doesn't exist at all. router.utorrent.com and router.bittorrent.com ARE trackers actually.

What I'm talking about here is a "central" hub without which you can't do nothing to find peers. And in that sense, DHT network is still not trackerless. No matter what are the protocols, I'm not talking about protocols, but about the network logic. Of course I'm thinking here of "tracker" in some wider sense.

uT isn't restricted (and hasn't been restricted) to boostrapping only from the router.* addresses.

It is possible for individual torrent files to include additional DHT bootstrap nodes which can then be used instead of the defaults (if the defaults are down). I pushed for this capability early in DHT support in uT.

According to your own reply from another post it should be possible to include additional DHT bootstrap nodes.

Now I was wondering HOW!

Nice of you to read up genius.

That, and µTorrent will also use any peers you find through any source to gain entry into the DHT network, assuming it hasn't already done so through the router. The DHT network does NOT have a single point of failure, and the router is not a tracker.

So you say I get myself a trackerless .torrent, and if router.utorrent.com and router.bittorrent.com doesn't work, I can still obtain a list of peers and download? I don't believe that's the case. Or will someone finally open my eyes and explain how it's possible, seems like I am uninformed.

You want the list of reasons why it's not the case?

Let's go over them

> Only initial bootstrapping has any semblance of requiring router.utorrent.com or router.bittorrent.com and even then it's not necessary.

> You get DHT nodes as you connect to torrents that include trackers because of uT's messaging protocol.

> People who include DHT entry nodes in torrents are creating another method to connect to the DHT network.

> If router.utorrent.com or router.bittorrent.com go down, the DHT doesn't magically collapse. People just need to find other ways to connect to it.

http://torrenthelp.depthstrike.com/2007/11/utorrent-dht-troubleshooting.html

Archived