Problem with Auto-load .torrents when Windows autostarts uTorrent...

Synthex

I'm tying to distribute files over my lan using uTorrent, to ensure files are copied and verified correctly to any computer from any computer automatically without having to move to each one.

To do this I enabled bt.enable_tracker and configured uTorrent to autostart, autoload .torrents and download them to "C:\DATA".

The autoload .torrents are stored in a shared folder on each computer so I can put .torrents from and to any computer in my lan, so uTorrent should automatically start downloading them.

My problem is that autoload only seems to work right if I run uTorrent by hand doubleclicking it.

If uTorrent starts itself from registry it just ignores autoload.

I tried to run uTorrent from Start Menu and seems to run fine, but sometimes when I copy a .torrent to the shared folder, uTorrent ignores it until I close and run it again by hand or I reboot the computer, and then autoloads ok.

I dont want to move to each computer to close uTorrent and run it again by hand or reboot the computer.

Any ideas?

Sorry for crossposting... :(

I found the error, I was using relative path to autoload folder and not full path, as I was testing and moving utorrent folder, so I put just "AutoLoad" instead of "C:\uTorrent\AutoLoad").

Relative path works fine if you doubleclick the uTorrent.exe or run it from a shortcut, but if you run it from registry it fails, but no error is noticed in Logger tab, so be sure you put full path in Autoload .torrents if you start uTorrent from registry.

I will continue testing...

Am I correct in assuming that utorrent.exe is located at C:\uTorrent\utorrent.exe? If so, then I suspect it's an issue with working directory. I'm not sure how one would set the working directory via the Registry startup key, but at the very least, you can just create the shortcut and stuff it in the Startup folder in your Start menu, and it'd work properly (if my guess is correct).

Yes, utorrent.exe, settings.dat, etc are all into C:\uTorrent folder.

If I configure full path to Autoload folder, it runs fine always.

It fails to autoload torrents only when configured without full path to autoload folder AND set in Preferences to "Start utorrent on system startup".

So to avoid problems I always configure full path ;)

Yah, I understand that, but what I'm saying is that it's probably a working directory issue. When you start applications via the Run key in the entry, my guess is that the working directory is your WINDOWS directory, but that's not what you want, as it'll (presumably) cause µTorrent to use C:\WINDOWS\Autoload. By creating a shortcut of utorrent.exe with a working directory of C:\uTorrent, µTorrent will probably to use C:\uTorrent\Autoload instead if you don't specify the full path. But yeah, the simpler method would be to just use a full path, as you've said.

I need to run utorrent from registry, but not exactly from Run key.

I'm running utorrent as a service because computers in my lan ask for User and Pass to log in, and I need to run utorrent even without user logged in. The only method is run it as a Windows service and make it user independent.

My first idea was to configure all utorrents to autoload from a shared folder in my server, this way every time a computer gets on, it will load .torrent files from that folder and syncronize, but failed even with full path if I run from registry.

Any way a remote shared autoload folder is unworkable because utorrent wants/needs to rename or delete .torrent files, so only one computer on my lan will autoload the .torrent file making it unavailable to others. If I share the folder with read only attributes to avoid rename/delete, utorrent refuses to autoload.

I think the solution will be copy .torrent files from a shared folder in my server to an autoload local folder and run utorrent as a service every time a computer gets on.

I will try this ;)

Archived