A few ideas for utorrent.

ASDF Commander

Really like utorrent and that the devs participate in development discusion with the users and such. Anyway, I'd thought I'd pass on a few features I thought would make a nice addition to utorrent.

-----------------------------

Away speed - a setting to change your upload speed from whatever it is set ATM to a predefined one X minutes after you have left your computer. This could also be dependent on whether you're downloading or just seeding.

Action for middle click - middle click on a torrent entry in utorrent and open an explorer window focusing on the associated torrent file/folder. Just one idea for many possible actions.

Customizable keyboard shortcuts - self explanatory.

Protocol Header Encryption – been asked for before but could use another nudge.

Customizable info columns – Like Azureus.

Better systray right-click options – Some of the ones in 1.1.7 aren't particularity useful. Options that are commonly adjusted like upload speed, slots per torrent, seem more appropriate.

Thanks.

Edit: I just remembered this one. When you have a torrent highlighted to check its info in the torrent information tabs at the bottom. If you click on open space in the torrent area, it will unfocus from that torrent, which can be annoying. I suggest it should only change focus when you click on a different torrent.

"Away speed - a setting to change your upload speed from whatever it is set ATM to a predefined one X minutes after you have left your computer. This could also be dependent on whether you're downloading or just seeding."

I really, really, dont get this. How is your connection based on the fact that you're away from the computer ? O_o

Protocol Header Encryption might be helpful for problametic ISPs.. Lazy bitfield might work just as well though.

I dont think we should get an emule-style right click menu with every possible feature chucked inside. Just open the client if you need its full-fledged options. The GUI exists for a reason you know ;]

1. pointless (imo)

2. dont think this is a good idea

3. hotkeys have been implimented in 1.1.8 (although i have no idea what they are)

4. PHE i can understand why its wanted, i know it gets around uni/college proxys

5, labels are implimented in 1.1.8

6. systray has got a better impliment in 1.1.8, but doesnt have all the crap you want

1. pointless (imo)

3. hotkeys have been implimented in 1.1.8 (although i have no idea what they are)

4. PHE i can understand why its wanted, i know it gets around uni/college proxys

6. systray has got a better impliment in 1.1.8, but doesnt have all the crap you want

1. This would be a good feature, you can bump your upload speed to the max.. you dont want it at your max if you're trying to browse the web because it will be really slow, but if you're not there then why not upload at the max? (while only seeding obviously)

2. Don't like the feature? Then don't use it then, it doesn't mean its not a good idea just because you don't like it/wouldn't use it. I personally would use it all the time and hope it gets implemented.

About the system tray having some extra features - I don't wanna have to open the program and navigate through the options to the upload setting every time I want load up an online game or send a file to a friend and reset it once I'm finished playing/sending a file. I'd just be able to right click the tray icon and set a new upload speed.

"Away speed - a setting to change your upload speed from whatever it is set ATM to a predefined one X minutes after you have left your computer. This could also be dependent on whether you're downloading or just seeding."

I really, really, dont get this. How is your connection based on the fact that you're away from the computer ? O_o

Protocol Header Encryption might be helpful for problametic ISPs.. Lazy bitfield might work just as well though.

I dont think we should get an emule-style right click menu with every possible feature chucked inside. Just open the client if you need its full-fledged options. The GUI exists for a reason you know ;]

Uploading (at any rate) will add some degree of latency to your connection. I like to keep this low when I'm actually using my computer for surfing/games/whatnot. So what I do is either stop my torrents or close my BT client all together. Lots of times I forget to restart it for when I'm away. If I could just seed when I'm away I wouldn't have to deal with high latency at all.

utorrent seems like a nice candidate for this because it's something you can leave up all the time since its resource usage is so little. This would work best in tandem with a way to set a global minimum rate per upload slot I think.

1. pointless (imo)

6.systray has got a better impliment in 1.1.8, but doesnt have all the crap you want

1. Refer to above response on the matter.

2. Why not?

3, 5 & 6. Goodish news, thanks.

I just remembered this one. When you have a torrent highlighted to check its info in the torrent information tabs at the bottom. If you click on open space in the torrent area, it will unfocus from that torrent, which can be annoying. I suggest it should only change focus when you click on a different torrent.

i really dont see the point in #1 is it really that hard to simply open the UI right click the global upload in the status bar and set it to unlimited or any other predefined speed. sorry to say it but its these kind of features that soon build up and cause the program to get much larger in size and cause problems.

Away speed - a setting to change your upload speed from whatever it is set ATM to a predefined one X minutes after you have left your computer. This could also be dependent on whether you're downloading or just seeding.

I find this one interesting. There have been other feature requests geared to managing uTorrent's bandwidth so as to not overwhelm other internet activities. Upload/download cap timers, pause timers, caps dependant on overall internet usage (impossible at the client level...) and others I can't remember. Some were downright stupid but they all point to the fact that people want something to better manage internet usage among applications. This one touches that need without being too complicated. I would seriously recommend some form of QoS though (search the forums).

Action for middle click - middle click on a torrent entry in utorrent and open an explorer window focusing on the associated torrent file/folder. Just one idea for many possible actions.

Ok. I'm sure other ideas can fit into a middle-click and would come handy. Maybe even put a middle-click option for the tray icon.

Customizable keyboard shortcuts - self explanatory.

I'm not sure about customizable but shortcuts are Ok. I am always tweaking the settings to maximize my bandwidth, for example. Maybe others do the same and shortcuts could address those? What did you have in mind?

Better systray right-click options - Some of the ones in 1.1.7 aren't particularity useful. Options that are commonly adjusted like upload speed, slots per torrent, seem more appropriate.

Whatever goes in there is not going to satisfy everyone. So this will be controversial. And putting too much is not the idea either. Is middle-click a possibility?

I don't know if this is feasible, but something that might solve some bandwidth usage problems would be to set a 'High CPU Limit' where if your CPU usage goes above a certain percentage, it would limit bandwidth down to something else. It would save your processor from having to process so much data, and games almost always take up 99% processor usage. This is a complete shot in the dark without much research done on it, though.

Well, like people have mentioned, if you're idle, then chances are, you're not using the computer for other purposes, like to surf or to play games or whatnot. So, if you limit uTorrent because of such things as online games or surfing and forget to turn off the limit when you're done with whatever, then you're not using your bandwidth to it's full potential, which doesn't help the torrents you're seeding. It's one of those "conviences" that people seem to be adverse about, since it supposedly will add bloat or seems useless or whatnot.

I still dont get how the heck is the fact You're idle and\or away from the computer has ANYTHING to do with the your connection. Detecting if the connection is idle has nothing to do with the fact you're away from your machine ..

You're totally misunderstanding..

Say you have an upload speed of 100kbs, you limit it at 80% (80kbs) so surfing the net and anything else using internet doesn't get extremely sluggish... but if you go AFK, you don't need to limit your upload because you arent trying to surf the net so it could to upload at 100% (100kbs) helping to seed the torrent.

well maybe the way you explain it first wasn't so clear.

I remember that some Download Managers have the "ability" to detect browser activity and then can auto-limit the bandwidth to any value you give. I suppose thats what you are asking for.

So, instead of suggest a "detection of user AFK" it could be a detection of browser or net activity for auto limit the upload/download bandwidth. Its like a sort of like the calendar function.

I dont think it can be bloat, actually it coul be as functional as the calendar.

BTW, I dont use the calendar, so, that make it bloat??

I fully support the idea of increasing bandwidth usage when AFK. I hate browsing the internet while running torrents, so I limit to 75% of my max upload, but a lot of times I forget to set it back when I go afk. That extra 25% is just sitting there wasted. This setting would be a great benefit to the swarm.

Limit global bandwidth to ___ kB/s while computer is in use. Simple enough. You could put the amount of time before it must be idle before it uncaps in advanced options.

Archived