Ports and download speeds....

flixxx

Hi, I have a general question about torrents i suppose.

I started using utorrent because of it's fantastic low memory consumption and i'm sticking to it. Though the issue i'm having is obviously speed.

I have set up the global connections and all other possible connections to over 3 000, and i have setup my port in utorrent and forwarded it from my router to my pc.

Now the issue is that i still don't feel like i get the maximum speed, and I know it has nothing to do with the client but i'm hoping someone is knowledgable enough to assist.

You see, i currently have a torrent running with over 400 seeds available, but i am only connected to 20 of them. I don't expect to connect to all the seeds, but only 5% of the seeds is quite low and i think it's the way i configured my setup. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the ports.

I forwarded my ports to my local machine, and i allowed the port to pass through the windows XP firewall (although the firewall is off, i heard it still plays a function in the O.S.)... I have no other Firewalls running.

Now i read some places that every peer you connect to requires a different port, therefore i don't understand why utorrent only has 1 port to enable.

I also ran a netstat -b and found all the clients currently connected to me and sure enough they are all connected through different ports... so i'm wondering what can i do to expand my ports they can connect too or have them properly enabled.

here is a sample of my netstat -b, maybe someone can assist me in downloading quicker :D

TCP flixxx:3872 xxxxxx.red.bezeqint.net:6669 ESTABLISHED 3072

[utorrent.exe]

TCP flixxx:3884 xxxxxx.hsd1.fl.comcast.net:7002 ESTABLISHED 3072

[utorrent.exe]

TCP flixxx:3933 xxxxxx.tbcn.telia.com:17696 ESTABLISHED 3072

[utorrent.exe]

TCP flixxx:3958 xxxxxx.suomi.net:ftp-data ESTABLISHED 3072

[utorrent.exe]

TCP flixxx:3967 xxxxx.sympatico.ca:40575 ESTABLISHED 3072

[utorrent.exe]

TCP flixxx:3980 xxxxx.nextgentel.com:5550 ESTABLISHED 3072

[utorrent.exe]

TCP flixxx:3991 xxxxx.simnet.is:16888 ESTABLISHED 3072

[utorrent.exe]

TCP flixxx:4016 xxxxx.customer.telia.com:55666 ESTABLISHED 3072

[utorrent.exe]

TCP flixxx:4021 xxxxx.cust.bluewin.ch:15681 ESTABLISHED 3072

[utorrent.exe]

TCP flixxx:4031 xxxx.nextgentel.com:6881 ESTABLISHED 3072

[utorrent.exe]

Hi, I have a general question about torrents i suppose.

I started using utorrent because of it's fantastic low memory consumption and i'm sticking to it. Though the issue i'm having is obviously speed.

I have set up the global connections and all other possible connections to over 3 000, and i have setup my port in utorrent and forwarded it from my router to my pc.

there's your first problem. take that down to a manageable amount like 200.

I forwarded my ports to my local machine, and i allowed the port to pass through the windows XP firewall (although the firewall is off, i heard it still plays a function in the O.S.)... I have no other Firewalls running.

Now i read some places that every peer you connect to requires a different port, therefore i don't understand why utorrent only has 1 port to enable.

utorrent needs 1 and only 1 port open, and make sure it's higher than 20000. personally, I use 50000.

You see, i currently have a torrent running with over 400 seeds available, but i am only connected to 20 of them. I don't expect to connect to all the seeds, but only 5% of the seeds is quite low and i think it's the way i configured my setup. I am pretty sure it has something to do with the ports.

The percentage of seeds that you're connected to isn't the most important thing here. If you're connected to 20-40 seeds, you should be okay.

make sure it's higher than 20000. personally, I use 50000.

It's not absolutely necessary to go that high. I use 16900 here at Davis and 9360 at home, and I don't get any problems at all. The important thing is just to choose an uncommon port, not a sickeningly high one ^_^

Thanks for all the replies, i'll change the global connections, and my port is pretty uncommon and high.

My last concern though is looking at my current connections with netstat, it's something i don't quite understand. For example the logs above show that i am connected to different peers on port 3958, 3933, 4016... How does that work? Does the torrent pass through utorrent's port and it forwards the peers to random ports?

i am new member of utorrent!

could someone tell me what ports i have to open for downloading?

just pick on, and if you cant decide, use 23734 (i made it up just for you!)

@thread starter- do u get Network OK in uTorrent after you have been connected to a torrent for like 5 minutes?

Archived