A layout suggestion...

FOOOD

(As with most BitTorrent clients) you have to set the client window 2 feet wide to be able to see all/most of the stats.

How about doing something like this (Transmission on OS X) & stacking the info for each torrent over 2 or 3 rows?

stacked.jpg

Looks much better (IMO). Clean & simple plus you don't have to have elongated window.

I'm not saying do it exactly like this but you get the idea with the screenshot smile2.gif

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm... I'll agree that those who want all the stats, info, and numbers to show that it'll take one heck of a wide screen to view it all. Some people like it that way. I prefer mine to be informative. Info that can be viewed/seen in the General tab are likely columns that I have disabled. Oh well. It's funny how all the best UI seem to come from OS X. If the devs do make some UI changes to be more simplified, then I'm all for it. Sometimes less is better.

That UI is very nice, and compact which is what utorrent is all about ;) not only would it be small in filesize but also small on teh screen :D The one thing that I don't see on that screenshot and whidh is a must is the share ratio, other than that I think pretty much all the primary info is there. The rest should be viewable via either a popup or some kind of "Advanced" view. Oh it should also show how much you have uploaded and the total size...

That does look really nice. A suggestion to that, though.. have a (+) at the front of every torrent that when pressed drops down the full statistics/piece/etc tabs that utorrent currently has.

That could be perfect for every user.

Now that's an excellent idea! thumbsup.gif

I don't want to pop anyone's bubble but if you do this you loose the possibility to sort collumns. I'm not saying it's a bad idea but it is a tradeoff. I find the idea attractive because I can never squeeze all the collumns I want and this would do the trick nicely. The selection of what goes "under" has to be done with lot's of care as some of those collumns are nice to sort by (not all of them, of course).

As for the (+) idea I think you could accomplish the same thing with a different tab. Just make a new tab with everything you thought of putting under the (+). It uses existing code and would be easier to implement.

I don't want to pop anyone's bubble but if you do this you loose the possibility to sort collumns. I'm not saying it's a bad idea but it is a tradeoff. I find the idea attractive because I can never squeeze all the collumns I want and this would do the trick nicely. The selection of what goes "under" has to be done with lot's of care as some of those collumns are nice to sort by (not all of them, of course).

As for the (+) idea I think you could accomplish the same thing with a different tab. Just make a new tab with everything you thought of putting under the (+). It uses existing code and would be easier to implement.

As for sorting by columns I think a quick fix would be to have a setting or drop down box somewhere which allows you to sort by a given field.

Honestly, I don't like the idea.

I have no problems fitting all the information I need into the µTorrent window.

Actually, Fooods example shows _less_ information.

This thing looks to much like the Firefox downlaod manager, and that one sucks (well, imho, of course *g*).

I don't have any problems with a maximised µTorrent window, as

a) almost all programs I use are maximized all the time anyways, and

B) µTorrent ist minimised into the tray most of the day

I'd love my uTorrent to look like this, although I appreciate that some people think it's unnecessary. It would however make uTorrent one of the prettiest BT clients as well as the smallest :) At the minute it's functional, and it does the job it's designed for exceptionally well, but at some point we're going to have all the features that we actually need complete - so maybe after that (or sooner) our nice dev team could start looking at ways to possibly improve the interface.

Honestly, I don't like the idea.

Actually, Fooods example shows _less_ information.

If you don't like the idea then no problem.

But read my post properly. It says:

I'm not saying do it exactly like this but you get the idea with the screenshot

i.e. the basic idea of stacking the info on 2 or 3 rows. Obviously you could add whatever details you wanted.

Archived