A layout suggestion...

FOOOD

Offtopic: It sure does look nice and simple, does it support Gnutella 2 by any chance? too bad it's Java too, I might run it on my linux box though.

That UI is quite similar to the one currently implemented except for a few feilds being tucked under other fields. That just makes it more complicated to sort and it doesn't really improve the UI like Transmission does. I think the first idea of having a simple layout like Transmission (yes like a download manager... I like that about this GUI, more user friendly and "known") but have a button which expands the row into a more advanced view. There is a problem with things such as the different views though. Peices, Peers and Files would probably require some kind of popup, and the speed and logger should be seperated from the transfers anyway.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always felt the same way about needing such a wide screen to see all the stats for a torrent (or even in eMule) so I really love Foood's idea. As for sorting, you could have an option in preferences where u can put a check box beside what you want your torrents sorted by and in ascending/descending. I think that solves it.

It would look great having that UI and with Foood's icons :).

I prefer the current layout, mostly because I like to sort by column (and I hope for filtering options), and with each torrent taking only one row, you can get a lot of info on the screen. With uTorrent maximized on a 1280x1024 screen I can see all the current columns fine (and probably a few more when they become available). I'd venture that if you only show the columns represented in the mock-up, you'd be able to see them all on a 1024x768 screen. Also, based on other programs I've used, the graphical progress bar slows things down (they all have an option to turn it off). Obviously by this thread, others like the different look, so if a new GUI is implemented, please make it optional!

There's no real reason why adding a graphical progress bar would slow the program down - unless it's implemented badly. After all, the basis of the calculation for how much to show on the bar has already been done to show what percentage is complete, so after that it's just a couple of simple drawing operations.

I like the idea of being able to select what information to sort by being in the options too.

I'd like to add also that I use a 1280x1024 resolution and while all the columns currently fit in a maximised window, I don't think it looks particularly attractive. Perhaps it's a bit shallow to prefer a simplified, attractive interface to one where you can see EVERY piece of information you could ever need at a glance, but there it is - like I said before, most BT clients are barely functional, never mind attractive, so having a nice interface could again attract more new users to this community.

I do think this style of interface should, if implemented, be optional though. Just to keep the people who prefer the current style.

in my opinion it's good as it is - actually i can see everything about the torrents i'm downloading/seeding [maybe columns order - that would be nice), as oxymoron mentioned - Fooods sugestion gives less information, and it will make uT windows much longer instead of wide...

That does look really nice. A suggestion to that' date=' though.. have a (+) at the front of every torrent that when pressed drops down the full statistics/piece/etc tabs that utorrent currently has.

That could be perfect for every user.[/quote']

Now that's an excellent idea! http://www.foood.net/images/other/smilies/thumbsup.gif

i agree lets do it.. :D i wish i could but i have faith in Vurlix and Ludde to come up with something nice.. different and intuitive

as oxymoron mentioned - Fooods sugestion gives less information, and it will make uT windows much longer instead of wide...

As I've said (twice) the screenshot of Transmission was just an example. You could add as much (or as little) detail as you liked.

A bit off topic, but... Cabos seems to have an identical interface to Acquisition (a Mac OS X Gnutella app). That explains why it looks nice =P

Yea, Acquisition does look great yes.gif

ac.jpg

Wow, I hadn't checked up on Acquisition for a while, and when I just checked the release notes... well, it seems that BitTorrent support is being added to Acquisition O.O

Yea, it's only in beta at the moment but should be good yes.gif

Here's a rough example of what I mean including plus & minus buttons to reveal or hide more info. (Obviously the info could be moved around or added to. They're just to get the idea across).

rows-1.jpg

rows-2.jpg

Now that colored version does look really nice, though I have no troubles with the horizontal scrollbar:

mainwindow.png

Very much off-topic:

Why is the images on this forum selected if you leftclick in the "avatar-field" a little bit to the left of them? Or does this happen to me only?

Edit: Switched to png

Wow' date=' I hadn't checked up on Acquisition for a while, and when I just checked the release notes... well, it seems that BitTorrent support is being added to Acquisition O.O

Yea, it's only in beta at the moment but should be good http://www.foood.net/images/other/smilies/yes.gif

Here's a rough example of what I mean including plus & minus buttons to reveal or hide more info. (Obviously the info could be moved around or added to. They're just to get the idea across).

http://www.foood.net/images/other/drop/rows-1.jpg

http://www.foood.net/images/other/drop/rows-2.jpg

Man, this is amazing.. I hope to see her an official reply..

Man.... ur too good... I love u graphics and ur work.

:respect:

There's probably more important things that Ludde and Vurlix are working on at the moment :) That said I hope they are open to the idea of a new interface at some point. I guess we will see :)

I hope too..

But you must aggree that that interface is awesome..

I know that you are right... but our coolest programmers are working real hard.. and i say it is only a matter of time.

i like it FOOOD

i would love it if µTorrent took up less space on my desktop.

Would be nice if the app was skinnable, but from what i understand, that's a pain to implement, and wastes CPU resources.

And i'd rather have a plain looking, well working app, rathe then a pretty GUI that hogs all my memory and works like crap

Archived