A layout suggestion...

FOOOD

If we could find a way to make a nice, simpler interface for uTorrent without bloating it too much, then it might be worth doing. I don't know how practical that would be however. I'm doing a course in Windows GUI Programming for my degree, but I have a feeling small sizes aren't going to be emphasised given that we're being taught to use MFC and .NET :(

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for a smaller, cleaner, simpler interface.

That said, I'm much more interested in seeing all my torrents at once than seeing loads of info. In the current UI you have to have a pretty wide window (pretty much the entire 1024px width of some people's monitors) to see all the info, but you can keep an eye on loads of torrents at once because the column design takes up minimal vertical space -- right now I can check the status of any of my 8 torrents without having to scroll.

A skinnier design would be nice, but would take up more of the more precious vertical room (I've got 1280 pixels of width, but only 960 of height). Furthermore, finding a place to show the "advanced data" (stuff in General, Peers, Files, and Speed tabs) would be difficult. You could have a tab dedicated to showing this data with subtabs for each section, but to switch between the data for various torrents you'd need to go back to the "torrent screen" and then select a new torrent (which, like Azureus' tab system, sucks IMHO). Opening a new window with advanced data for the currently selected torrent is another possibility, one that solves the need to switch back and forth between tabs, but I personally abhor multiple windows.

JigPu

You could have multiple levels of information for each torrent. So you could have one layer where all you see is the name of the torrent and the progress bar and it's current status - then one layer of further information with current down/up speeds etc, and a further one which gives you all the info.

Seems to be about a 50/50 split at the minute.... power users want all the information there at their fingertips, the rest of us want it simplified so we don't have to deal with irrelevancies. I'd be interested in comments for exactly what information people want to be able to see at a glance, as it were, and what they don't mind drilling down for. Then maybe we can work it up into a few more concept layouts. If we can get to a point most people can live with, then maybe we'll have more luck convincing our wonderful dev team to consider implementing a change.

well currently i have the columns

name, size, completed, uploaded, done, eta, status, seeds, peers, downspeed, upspeed, ratio.

although many ppl disagree, a progress bar could be quite useful for glancing at torrents. if there were one then i would probably only need to have showing name, status, progress, ratio

While I didn't read all of this thread, I did scam through and I notice that the type of layout that Food has suggested here was originally thought of but the design that we have now was taken. I have to say that I agree with food (And others) that I would love to see a more compact screen and to those that think compact means lose of stats / info. you couldn't be more wrong. :)

Slim!

A progress bar would be nice...but some already said it's going to increase memory/cpu usage...so I wouldn't count on it being implemented... :|

Even if it does, it shouldn't be too much of an increase. I mean, we're already rendering a progress bar of sorts on the General tab, and another type under Pieces... so it's not like the graphics functions aren't already there to some degree.

Have you thought about compromise? I like FOOOD's idea, but I can also see why some would prefer the columnar layout. How about a "little checkbox" as they're referred to? Only one interface needs to be *loaded* at any one time, nearly eliminating overhead (except for executable bloat).

Also, what if the torrents were shown as summary items which were expanded when selected? I'm sure you've all seen this sort of thing. Google Talk is an excellnt example: hovering over a contact reveals a range of extended information when it's needed.

I love that Java p2p client and it's base OS X program, too! Oh, it lures me to the white side. What a delicious looking app. I can see why you call yourself FOOOD, FOOOD. ;-)

• 1 year later...

It was released to the IRC lurkers for quick testing, and I have a copy myself, but I don't think it's meant for distribution, so the answer would be "no." Do tell, though, how is it any less "pretty"?

Edit: Answer that in the other thread... no point posting in two identically-purposed threads concurrently ;o

• 4 weeks later...

Archived