µTorrent 1.6.1 released

Firon

@supersoft: It looks suspicious only if one didn't bother to find out the agreement actually was. What was it? That BitTorrent Inc remove (or at least attempt to remove) aggregated illegal links to copyright content from their website, bittorrent.com, and only publish legal torrents.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahaha. This is so funny for me. I was just here yesterday checking if there was a new version, because it had been a while. Nothing. Tonight I load up uTorrent, and what do I see but an upgrade message. It's so good to know it's still being worked on. So far it seems to be working as well as build 474. No sign of spyware, and... augh! MPAA agents are busting through my windows with big guns and they're going to arrest me! Oh, wait, no. That's just the gentle humming sound of millions of tiny bits of information streaming in and out of my computer, as usual. My bad.

Ever since I discovered uTorrent the thought of having to go back to Azureus or BitTornado frightens me. Keep up the good work, Ludde, admins and mods!

Hmmmm i do agree comments by a few members in this thread have been somewhat over the top but the core of the argument has truth in it.

Sadly ultima you are incorrect in one area the mpaa is funding bittorrent development in areas to control and disrupt bittorent downloads and have been doing so for sometime now.

That being said just because that utorrent is now part of bittorrent does not mean these updates are bad but it also puts a major degree of doubt in them.

This is compounded by the fact that azureus got caught stabbing everyone in the back so people are understandably paranoid.

One thing iam sure of is that people here bitching have no right to complain as they got a program for free that did its job first rate and honestly.

Without a source code and no way to be sure that this hasn't got a suprise i fear this isn't going to float and its likely eventually going to go the way of other clients.

Sadly ultima you are incorrect in one area the mpaa is funding bittorrent development in areas to control and disrupt bittorent downloads and have been doing so for sometime now.

If you're going to come up with bold claims like that, you'd better have solid evidence to back it up. Otherwise, it all comes back as FUD. Anyhow, this isn't the thread to be discussing these matters in, so...

Its not much a secret these days and a google search worded correctly leads you right to it.

I know personaly thanks to the fact i work in the industry (not the mpaa thank you very much).

All that aside you don't in anyway strike me as blind or stupid and have to be wondering why suddenly all the major clients are getting bought up.

I would suggest you take a good look at the latest in clients from bittorrent and it should answer alot of your questions.

Now you side stepped the whole issue which how do we know for sure about further updates.?

Its a honest question some in this tread have asked with out insults or condeeming all the great work done in the past on utorrent.

Simply dimissing these guestions is just going to make things worse.

I'm staying with uT for now,

but now there IS reason to worry now, there's already a lot of talk of the next client people will use. Plus the admin/mods hostile responses really aren't making it look any cleaner, but maybe that's due to annoyance.

But like I said, until someone reports something shady I feel it's fine to stick with uT.

Here's my problem with the claim that "hostile responses" from the admins and moderators are creating more suspicion. How the hell else are they supposed to react when people are attacking? If someone attacks you, do you react peacefully? Or do you open up a can on 'em?

Let's get real here. You want to stop hostile responses? Stop attacking like a bunch of mindless attack AIs and start using your brains instead. If you're worried about something here, ASK A QUESTION! Don't attack and insists that what you're worried about is reality, because the reality is you're just reacting in fear and know precisely jack shit.

As for correctly worded Google searches? I can put in a "correctly worded" search that would find results saying that the Soviet Union collapsing never happened. That doesn't make it true. Put in enough weighted search terms into a search engine and you can make it turn up most anything you want it to.

In closing, lets try to act like reasoning beings here instead of trying to prove Godwin's Law of Internet Debate.

Admins: If you want to stop the controversy simply challenge people to try to prove you wrong. Example: "We'll pay $10K to anyone who can prove that the new uTorrent now has mechanism to help the MPAA/RIAA find, track, block etc. any uTorrent users."

If you're so sure about uTorrent's "privacy statement", put your money where your mouth is.

With the way things have been going in the last few years, the infamous Sony DRM/Spyware fiasco, G.W. Bush's spying on phone calls and the like, you'll have to forgive us if we don't take your word, or indeed the posted privacy statement, as fact.

PS: I'm not flaming or anything but you have to understand people's concerns about the new uTorrent client. Don't be so hostile towards the uTorrent users, you could be facing a sliperly slope.

I dont blame the mods for their hostile responses to the same idiots posting FUD for the sake for FUD.I have asked those people direct questions several times and Im still waiting.

If by the "idiots posting FUD" you mean me, I didn't bother to answer 'cause I thought it was a "retorical question". Maybe it takes one to know another.

Well, now I see it wasn't, so let me tell you what the MPAA could do with a piece of code you yourself install in your computer (I'm not saying they DO, I'm just saying they COULD):

Get your IP, what u're downloading or uploading, from/to who's IPs, for how long, how many bytes, at what time, from which ISP...

Short of getting your Social Security number (& maybe that too, if you store it on the PC).

It has been found recently that Azureus has been doing this sort of thing for a couple of years, and Az IS OPEN SOURCE -12 Mb of open source code, though, that's a lot of lines-

Should I continue? Do you get where the "suspicion" comes from?

I never said uTorrent's code is or will be doing such things. But as I said before, if u work for Micro$oft, u don't write "genuine advantage" cheats, do you?

Supersoft wrote: "Should I continue? Do you get where the "suspicion" comes from?

I never said uTorrent's code is or will be doing such things. But as I said before, if u work for Micro$oft, u don't write "genuine advantage" cheats, do you?"

True! I work for a major software company and in our closed source code there are many hidden features all over the place that only we are aware of. One of which is currently "sleeping" but can be easily activated so it'll report back to me how users are using my program. This is not done to spy on users but to help me know how users use my program so I can better align its operation to what users really want.

This is actually a common practice. Many software developpers put hidden "sleeper" code in the apps that can be activated at any time. Remember the cheats in certain games?

The question is: is it benign or not? Considering who uTorrent is in bed with these days, I have my doubts.

Archived