µTorrent 1.6.1 released

Firon

Breaking News they can get your IP just by looking at the peerlist in any client, then get your ISP to release all of your internet activities by comparing the date/time and IP.Do you want to know why this makes much more sense?Because its already happening.

Any private torrent site worth a snot is really far from private (elitetorrents anybody?) and could have those super evil MPAA dudes logging peer list.

So while you're worried about super magic backdoors in a torrent client (Which would be illegal, Sony got sued and lost money for their drm) the mpaa got an invite to your torrent site and is logging.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaking News they can get your IP just by looking at the peerlist in any client, then get your ISP to release all of your internet activities by comparing the date/time and IP.Do you want to know why this makes much more sense?Because its already happening.

Any private torrent site worth a snot is really far from private (elitetorrents anybody?) and could have those super evil MPAA dudes logging peer list.

Yeah right, but grabbing a peerlist at elite's is not the same as your sending the info form ur own computer, right? Concept of "redhandedness"?

@BritBrat: I'm quite sure it WILL get banned on lots of sites, at least the upgrades will.

@both supersoft and other people posting or about to post rumors and suspicions here.

The only reason behind the suspicion is the fact that BitTorrent Inc. bought µtorrent and is now developing the code and the fact that BitTorrent made a deal concerning removing copyrighted material from the index on their tracker/website (which has no direct relation with the client).

The Privacy Policy has stated that no data is collected through the client and nobody has found any suspicious traffic (besides the whole DHT Bootstrapping farce).

There is not a single thing that actually justifies these suspicions of µtorrent.

What the MPAA could and could not do with a piece of code you yourself installed on your computer is a typical argument that will have no weight in a actual discussion. Its pure playing on someones fears. I could say that about the government, Microsoft and your neighbour/wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend/parents/children/roommate but that doesn't justify the suspicion either. And those people actually have a much better chance at getting you to do so. MPAA does NOT own or control BitTorrent or µtorrent... so we still don't see why you keep putting them into the equation like that.

You indeed never said that µtorrent code is doing such things. Because you can't. You can only make guesses, make up suspicions and spread these ideas right here. And thats a form of what they call 'spreading FUD'. And you don't realize its unfair to the creators & developers (who are publicly made the bad guys and accused of being backstabbers and might actually lose their feeling of pride for working on one of the best bittorrent clients out there), to the forum core (which are ALL volunteers who try and help out fellow µtorrent users and are not on the µtorrent/BitTorrent Inc. payroll and are the people who actually deal with all these false accusation) and to the other µtorrent users (who actually would have appreciated this client but moved on to another one because of these false accusations).

Ever since the purchase by BitTorrent Inc. this forum is flooded with questions about it. There are NUMEROUS topics where people post suspicions ranging from real (but untrue) possibilities to absolute absurd ideas of paranoia. Time and time again the forum core (including the admins and mods) try to explain the reality of things. And now a new update comes out and another wave of exactly the same crap that has been asked over and over again comes along AGAIN and its no wonder people here are losing their patience.

If you want views on a suspicion or want to talk about it you can simply use the search function. I'm sure you can find at least 3 almost identical topics about your concerns. The suspicions have been talked over and over and we simply ask that you move on with your life. Whether you choose to use or not use µtorrent is op to you but don't start the same stuff all over again in this thread.

[edit]

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=18962

An interesting thread about the banning of µtorrent on a famous tracker. One of the few known instances btw. Hardly any important tracker and no respected (by me heheh :)) tracker has banned the latest µtorrent or its betas.

So the MPAA getting your IP is no longer an issue with you?Funny how that was such a big deal at first.You're either scared easily by such terms as IP or you thought I would be.

So please explain how a "form" from my pc would be more "redhandedness" than what they're doing already.

And I want supersoft to answer, so dont help him.I would really like to know which of the two he is.

Ok, this is the last post i'm making on this particular subject. Guess I already made my point clear enough. As I write, I'm happily seeding/leeching 10 torrents with my old an trusty 1.6.0.0

@Lord Alderaan: Of course I can only make guesses on the code since the source is not open. Otherwise I would have to reverse engineer it, something I won't certainly do. I admire ludde's work and will say once more uT is a great piece of code. But code is one thing and policy is a quite different thing.

As to whether "not a single thing that actually justifies these suspicions of µtorrent" let's give it some time & feedback. This release is just too recent.

@knight: The information collected form a form posted by yourself is infinitely richer than a simple IP list. In a NORMAL post, you surrender your OS, geographical location, browser & client ID and all the variables found in a HTTP header. That's the case of a NORMAL post header. In a "tweaked" post, and depending on how tweaked it is, you can surrender almost every bit of information stored on your PC. Get the concept?

More breaking news for you, they wouldnt need a super magic backdoor in a bt client to get that info.They could already have that info just by you visting this site.

Its clear from your "tweaked" post rambling that you dont know a hole in the ground from the one in your head and is simply spreading fud because "they can get your ip!!!@2@" scares you.

First, the differences between closed and open source are a bit more nuanced. But in the end closed source boils down to you being able to find out what it does but just not how it works internally. You CAN find out what µtorrent is sending and where it goes and you would be able to isolate suspicious traffic this way as was proved with the people asking about the DHT bootstrapping. With a packet sniffer you can find out the contents of the traffic and this cleared up the DHT bootstrapping. If it contained personal data or if it was encrypted we would have something to worry about... So you don't need to reverse engineer anything to prove malicious intend. Otherwise firewalls and virus scanners would have been out of business...

Besides a compiled Open Source program is just as untrustworthy as a closed source one. Someone could put the source and put a compiled version with spyware in it right next to it claiming its the same. Only the people who download the source, check it out and then compile it themselves would be safe but the large majority downloads the pre-compiled version.

Luckily there is still my first point. You CAN find out what µtorrent or any closed and open source bittorrent client actually does.

You are right about the new client needing feedback. IF a malicious function was implemented there are people who will find out soon and come with prove right here. But you spreading false rumors and mere suspicions isn't helping. You are even making it harder for the people with real prove... I myself simply CBA.

Trusting a Policy or not is up to you. But a company who is looking at viable commercial venues to generate a profit is not likely to publicize a Policy that is a outright lie. They would open themselves up to legal claims even before they have started anything important. And since you CAN find out what a client does it would be plain stupid.

And, would the (former) developers of uTorrent give us a spying uTorrent? They worked for us as good as they could, they gave us a wonderfull uTorrent, and would they just make it a bad client by selling it to BitTorrent? I don't think so. Would they vanish months of work with just one sell? I don't think so. I didn't follow the news about the sell, but I don't think they selled it because there was a possibility of illegal file sharing. No, they just wanted uTorrent would be better and better. I don't know the exact function of the former developers now, but I think a spying uTorrent is not what they wanted and that is not included in the agreement, I think.

So just stop flaming uTorrent. If you don't trust it, go. If you trust it, stay. Just shut up if you don't like it. And if you are caught by a spying uTorrent, please let us know. And otherwise, STFU! I can make me such angry by reading all these posts.

But OF COURSE µT is the very best BT client ever around!!! May God forbid we shoud go back to Az or B-Tornado. That's what most pisses me off, that the best client around is now tainted with suspicion!

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but the only thing that's tainted right now is my previously clean white T-Shirt. Some of the diarrhea that spewed from your mouth splattered on it and left a brownish stain. Please keep your shit in the toilet next time.

Good day sir

Edit: To the uTorrent team, thanks for the update!

Ok I have no problem with the 1.6 version, now since this 1.6.1 has come out I cant run my firefox or window explorer while utorrent is running, All the pages just time out. I also noticed my dowload speeds went from close to 100ks to less than 1ks.

Anyone have any ideas for me, I have tried reinstalling it many times too.

Archived