Jump to content

µTorrent 1.6.1 released


Firon

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very new to this, maybe someone can help.

I attempted to download a movie (which took nearly a week to achieve) Unfortunately when I attempted to watch it, I found that I could only hear the soundtrack. (it automatically tried to play it on windows media player) Do I need to get specific software to be able to view it.

thx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmmm, have we mentioned anything about a security flaw that's fixed in this new release? Details on http://secunia.com/advisories/24130/ . Personally, I'd trust bittorrent Inc. over running an unpatched client. Am I assuming right that utorrent 1.6 (build 474) is affected by this exploit detailed? The exploit ain't the .torrent malform mentioned in the first post?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Job well done gents. It seems this release has resolved the slow-down issue with my Linksys WRT54G v2 (DD-wrt) router. I can finally leave the program running for as long as the PC is on without any detrimental effects to my VoIP and web browsing - my active IP ports are always less than 200 now as opposed to almost 800 with previous versions. BIG THUMBS UP!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been noticing lately I'm having a problem with this latest update, maybe it's my ISP? but it only started after I updated. Anyway.. my problem is that it disconnects completely, then I restart uTorrent and all is fine, after awhile it'll do it again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This happened to me around version 140 I think and I updated, which sort of fixed the problem but speeds went down a lot. I think its an ISP problem also... And ever since those versions, 150 or so... download speeds have been inconsistent. IE they dont max out my connection into a flat line. I came to uTorrent when winmx went down and then used emule and after an year or 2, emule started being really slow. In 3 or 4 days I would get a few megs of data. Uploads were also bad but not as much as downloads. speeds degraded by over 90%, also after an upgrade? kind of hard to keep up with things if you ever develop a problem since you are not sure where it is at or where it began. Its sort of like things were working just fine and one day nothing works. Trying to fix things makes everything worse. So i just left uTorrent alone and just today after years I was reading the emule forum and seems many people had similar problems and they were getting ragged on by those not having the problems, even after all this time. Which is also surprising since everyone should be having the same problems right? except in a few select cases where things just work out. Problems which develop small migrate into huge big unendurable mighty jobs that really take your life for a turn. Which is why after the emule episode I still kept up with uTorrent. uTorrent was not as fast as before but it had more features and it still worked... But today I got some strength to check things out on different clients and installed bitcomet again, and it still well was like unpleasant and did not play with it much and then installed bitsprit and viola... Just after adding a single torrent, it maxed out my connection into a flatline, yes I tried same torrent's in uTorrent at first and then checked again after wards... Just like the old uTorrent I knew... It was fast to get started/transfering... While uTorrent would take a while to wake up, bitsprit started off almost immediately...

This is not to say uTorrent is bad.. I am just saying, life is a bitch.. somethings just work out and some dont. Every client has features and bugs. Maybe I should have mentioned something when the problems started in uTorrent but it seemed like no one else had or they had different problems and after the stuff with emule I did not want to go through all that again since it still worked. Another thing that still is a problem is uTorrent makes surfing much slower... Even using cfos like programs. bitsprit on the other hand seems to work much better... At least until they do something and screws it up.

ps.. I know all about problem solving and the headache it causes developers. you fix a problem for some and even more problems develop for others. And no matter how hard you try, you can never fix or make others happy... and you end up in the shoes of the clients :), glad to see someone did something for others not expecting anything (other than headaches) and in the end make something for himself as well...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can someone please explain to me, how in the hell, are they supposed to sneak something into a tiny, yet massively feature packed 173KB executable? Seems like it'd be a pretty damned tight fit. I've seen forum sigs that were larger in filesize than that. For all you people saying you won't update; Why? What makes you think there's something fishy going on? Now if the µTorrent.exe jumped mysteriously up to 300KB, then maybe I'd be suspicious. So far, I've seen nothing shady going on and the new version works really well.

Thanks admins, for the updates and for putting up with paranoid idiots who forget which program they're talking about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

bizzyb0t: 490 was actually smaller than 483... :P

If you ever -do- see the size suddenly doubling, then it means we've stopped using PECompact and are releasing uncompressed versions of the program.

problems of 488 and 489 builds showed that it was the first time new

developers ever tried to compile uTorrent

It actually wasn't the first time (484-487 were), but 488 and 489 were the first releases where they gave it out publicly and discovered bugs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...