Large swarms affect other torrents and never become stable

DavidGGG

A couple of strange things happen when one of the torrents has a huge amount of peers. Let me say right away that I have a very "modest" system (Win98SE, ADSL 250kbps up&down, uT 1.6, Kerio 2.1.5) which I'm very satisfied with and which I use only for small files (usually 700MB).

A) The download ratio never gets stable (tried for like 24 hours). See example:

bigswarmxe7.jpg

I tried: stopping all seeds, reducing max up and down values (22kB/s, 20kB/s, 15kB/s), increasing number of allowed peers to 100 (and set "MaxConnections" in regedit to 256), disabling DHT. It works perfectly with smaller swarms, one torrent at a time or multiple.

B) If I have 2 or more torrents, one of which has huge amount of seeders, then the latter one hogs all the bandwidth - even if I limit it's max down value drastically. Example:

Global values: download limited to 24kB/s, max peers set to 60 and max peers/torrent=30, and 1 or 2 torrents on download.

Torrent B has seeders+leechers=1(1)+1(3), public tracker, DHT on. Torrent C has S+L=29(225)+1(14), private tracker no DHT, and max down set to 2kB/s. If I run just "B" then it is stable at 13kB/s. If I start C as well, then B drops to 4kB/s. So in total I get 6kB/s when the capability is 24kB/s. Even leaving C paused seems to affect B. Only stopping it helps completely.

Notes: Tried limiting peers/torrent to 20 and re-starting C (got 20 seeders then), but still B is blocked by C. Both B and C had bandwidth = high and B had higher priority than C but I don't think this should have an impact here (has nothing to do with download speed, right?). I use BZ's rules for Kerio and modified to accept DHT, and incoming accepted only for selected port.

I searched the FAQ and the troubleshooting, bugs and speed forums but couldn't find anything on this subject.

There's not much to whine about regarding uT, it's 99% greatness, just trying to clear up the few annoyances I've found.

/David

Archived