how do i know if i'm seeding enough?

fyrewitch

just to make sure i've got this right ,.....

i have a torrent that is seeding and the ratio is at 0.843, i need to leave it and any others untill each one reads seeding with a ratio of at least 1.000....right? my utorrent has upload speed, uploaded, and then ratio across the top, i'm guessing this is my upload rate your referring too and where i got the 0.843 from.

I agree with torrero, torrents with good content deserve to be seeded beyond 1:1 if nobody else will.

It also depends on how fast your upload speed is...if it's slow, you might not want to seed torrents indefinitely.

You may also have "Monthly Bandwidth Quotas" from your ISP that you won't want to exceed to worry about...so that may also reduce the amount of torrents you upload. In that case, make sure your upload speed in µTorrent is no more than 70% max instead of the usual recommended 80%...to reduce wasted upload attempts.

You need at least 1 KB/sec upload speed PER upload slot for every torrent. And it is much better if you have 3-5 KB/sec upload speed PER upload slot.

So if you have 4 torrents going and 4 upload slots, that means upload speed needs to be at least 16 KB/sec as an absolute minimum...and would be much better if you could upload 48-80 KB/sec. If you can't quite manage the desired upload speed, reduce the number of upload slots per torrent -- either for all torrents or just for seeding torrents.

Better to give your upload speed to just a tiny number of peers on a seeding torrent, so they can more quickly get a whole piece of the torrent that they can share. If piece size is 1 MB, and you're uploading at only 1 KB/sec per upload slot then downloaders will need over 17 minutes minimum before you complete a single piece to any of them. Until that time, they may have nothing to share to anyone else on the torrent.

sorry i'm new to this and just want to make sure i'm not just leeching off everyone.

how do i know if i'm seeding something long enough and how do i tell what my rates are?

Do you honestly believe pirating pirates is immoral thing to do??? I am doing this all the time :lol:

yeah right, we are sharing linux distros, sure...

Archived