Something common but I would appreciate all the help I can get

Urziel

I know that many people have, so far, posted many topics about μtorrent showing them that little red ! sign or yellow connection sign on the bottom of their application. This happens to some even though they have freed ports for the program... just like me...

I have followed the directions for my router (Zyxel Prestige600) as well as freed that same port from the windows xp port manager equivelant. Still when I try to download I get either of those signs although I can still at least download (the speed would be crippled - totally crippled - ofc compared to what I first experienced using μtorrent). Also the "check port" option in μtorrent would still tell me that the port is still not open...

This is the reason why I want to ask for some help as to understand what exactly is the problem with ports, and to find out whether or not I am doing something wrong - this being the case, I should in turn fix. My knowledge on this side of computers is not non-existent but I would appreciate some dummie-advice.

Thanks for your time and really sorry that I had to bring that matter up again.

sorry for double posting just thought I should throw that in too....

I just had a phonecall with my provider... to ask whether or not they block ports or something like that and he told me that they are not blocking any ports or forward any cause its on the company's policy to allow the user to do that. So I guess the provider side unless I talked to a complete idiot, is clear!

lol sorry, I had to be sure, as some users do exhibit such tendencies... ;D

The only possible reasons I can see for the port forwarding issue is (1) modem/router behaving stupidly, (2) user error.

Look around in the router configuration for the DHCP range, and make sure you set your static IP outside of that range (and re-forward to that port).

btw... most of the times I have the "No Incoming Connections" error on that little yellow icon down below... that's something different or ports again? (since when promted to check the port availability I do get "Error! Port whatever does not appear to be open.")

ok ... just found out that this is my stop xD... I cant find how to check my DHCP range. I went all the way to my DHCP list or my router, but the funny thing is that its empty (I dont have a clue what I am doing there tbh). Could I have some guidance through it?

I was going to start a new thread for this, but I think I am having the same problem as Urziel. I set up static IP and followed the instructions for my router (Zyxel Prestige 334W) to forward a port for utorrent. But I'm still getting the yellow "!" icon and the port checker is saying the port doesn't appear to be open. I can still download (maximum of 90kb/s but more often less than 1 or 2 kb/s) and it slows up or stops my other connections (eg through Outlook).

I've checked my DHCP pool and my static IP is outside that range, but still the port isn't forwarding. My PC's firewall is disabled, but the firewall on the route is enabled - there doesn't seem to be any setting to allow utorrent.exe through the firewall, but service blocking is disabled so I don't think it should be stopping the connection.

Any ideas at all? And sorry again for piggybacking on your thread.

Archived