utorrent overloads my connection

RaZorbacK

Hello all,

Utorrent rocks but I have a little problem.

I have configured utorrent but I think I've messed up my options. :) now, when µtorrent is active, I have difficulties to browse the net (internet explorer) and when i wanna chek my emails I often can't connect to the pop server.

but even when I limit my up bandwidth it's the same problem and I have a fast connection (about 15 mbits).

please has anyone a clue to correct this? I like µtorrent and really don't wanna give it up!

Hello again,

thanks for all those reprlis but unfortunately, I can't fix the problem. ( the Bt.slow_connect was already on true and I have applied the patch a gain to have only 100 connections acording to the patcher now.But, my connection is still messed up, the surfing is very slow and sometimes the page cannot be displayed. the same for my emails>.

I'm running windows xp on a DSL connection,behind a linksy wrt54G wireless router with the port 32459 forwarded to my machine, and UPNP enabled on the router.

I have deleted my settings.dat to build a new one so everything is set by defaut ewcept the folders options.

So, have you another idea? Have I to disable UPNP or something?

thx, any help will be greatly apreciated.

Try limiting your global maximum number of connections to 75 to see if it makes a difference.

ho, seems to work better! many thanks we finally have a track to follow. but is this a viable solution? Will I loose too much sources or keep people downloading welle from me? Is it a bug of µtorrent? Have I something to change in my registry (TTl or MTU)?

thanks again for the quick help you are providing me

Hi,

ouch apparently nothing especially wrong with µtorrent since I have tested the thing with bitcommet, obtainning the same result. My connection stalls when a bt client is running! :( I've tried to disable UPNP and forward a port manually, no changes. I don't understand. :( is it possilbe that the wireless thing is making trouble? I've used bt one or two years ago on a wired connection without any problems.

Sory, if u can still help....:(

thx

That's a good question, why don't you test it out (plug it on wired)? In principal this sould not be a problem but wireless technology is still maturing. I wouldn't be surprised if there is some ill effect with bittorrent and all the wireless drivers/firmware.

While you're at it you might want to try different security settings (WEP, WPA, WPA2) to see if it makes a difference. Many problems I've seen related to wireless were somehow related to how this was set.

Hi slayers,

hmm sure it will be a good idea to plug it but ... the router is not beside this machine... I may try to install µtorrent on another machine but it runs on a win2k system. I'll let u know. concerning security settings, I'm using WEP so... dont't think it comes from this.

I've seen in my router stuff concerning packet fragmentation and settings to configure that but I've no clus about this.

I have a linksy wrt54G so if anyone knows..

thx again for your patience :(

i had a right problem with wireless a few month back with Bitcomet, every 10-15 minutes my connection would drop and wouldnt come back without me re-starting computer, after many fone calls, and hours of searching i found a very easy way to stop the problem, which is suitable for me, but many other wouldnt find suitable, is i disabled my security (WEP) as since then i have not noticed any problems, a few weeks ago i enabled it again, and problems were back, i am in the middle of nowhere so the chances of someone using my wireless connection is slim, try without, i know its not pratical, and see if that helps, also another problem which could be the cause could be this in the services, under Administration Tools there is a service called "Wireless Zero Configuration" mine is manual, and i use the driver given on disk/cd, check see what yours is on

This issue probably has nothing to do with your network connection. The next version should be better at handling more connections.

hmmm i'm not sure about this vurlix since a I formerly said, I have the same problem with bitcommet...

it's a pity, i can't use bt except during the night lol

Uhm. If you have a small upload limit (like 720/128) and you use all those 128 bits, your connection will become horribly slow.

ho no my connection is about 15 mbs and my up is 1 mb fast. I have changed the up bandwitdth again an again no result.

moreover, the problem does'nt come from the UPNP because i've tried to disable it , no success. I've just restored a clean and fresh ghost image of y system and the problem is still here! :(

but µtorrent is not the guilty.

I have the same problem with Razorback(and the same configuration)....

R u also on a wireless connection? do u have the same problems with other bt clients?

Damn, if u just can try on a wired one to see if it makes the difference, it will be apreciated, it will be a pain in the ass to plug and unplug all the stuff here lol

thx

try to reduce the connection even more.. my ISP offers me only 50 connections so i restrict the one utorrent makes to 40 and everything is fine

try reducing until u see the desired effect :) the problem is not the speed if utorrent is downloading u should be able to do anything (but very slowly). but u can't do it due to lack of connections. why don't u ask ur ISP about ur connections restriction? or try experimenting as i told u

hello all,

ok, here are the news...

i've tried all your tips and tricks, reducing the connection, the up bandwitdh, patching the tcip thing ... without any significant results. but, yesterday, i decided to unplug my router from the electric line (so it was completely switched Off) and when i've plugged it, everything seemed to work normally and today too! I really don't know why this happends or maybe its just a "xoincidence" (dunno how to say it in english) but now, the e-mail retrieval and the web surfing are ok with µTorrent!

Thanks again all for your kind help.

Hpe that µTorrent keep on rocking, I'm using a screen reader and the interface is very speech-friendly.

htanks again and best regards.

P.S.: sory to have posted my message first in the documentation section of the forum , i haven't read the sticky post. !:$

hi razorback,

i have a linksys WRT54GS, a few weeks after i got it in september, i updated the firmware from 3.37 to 4.70 (reset config too), after i did that i found i had trouble with p2p programs.

Had to unplug it almost every day wait 30 seconds then plug it back in. well that got old real quick.

So i flashed it back to 3.37 and now it works like a charm. apparently its a variable called keep connection alive timer that keeps the connections alive for a week. well as you can imagine it overloads the router pretty quickly when you make that many connections with any p2p prog.

i found some info about that variable responsible a while back, i believe it was on the linksysinfo.org forum.

And for the linksys routers, there's also the sveasoft firmwares that we can try, i hear they have interesting features.

anyway, until they correct that variable's time out, i wont be going to version 4.7 any time soon.

Archived