At my wits end.

agonizonai

Hello. I've been using utorrent for awhile, but have recently run into troubles. I've been keeping up on the newest posts within this forum, but finally decided to become a member. I have done everything that has been suggested here. I am well versed in computers, but still can't seem to get results. I am not sure if it is my router, the program itself, or just shoddy local internet that is provided by my apartment complex.

Any suggestions?

Sorry. I would have posted my problem, but I wasn't sure where to start, and didn't want to post it in it's entirety. My issue is port forwarding. I know how to do it from within the router, and have even set my IP address statically (as portforward.com recommended). We do have control of our internet here, but we are only allowed to use the service that our complex has a deal with. I have access to the modem and whatnot.

After I have set up everything (static ip, port forward), I've used the utorrent speed guide to see if the port is forwarded correctly. It comes back with its error saying that it isn't forwarded properly, but the weird thing is that it gives an ip address that isn't thrown out by my router. The standard Linksys 192.168.1.1 range.

So that is my dilemma at this point. I have disabled UPnP as well. From my understanding it was more hurtful than helpful.

Thanks again!

Ok. I set it within the Linksys range. I only did that because it was the only way that offered the most information (DNS, def. gateway, etc). I know the IP address that is coming in from our provider, but I know nothing else about it.

EDIT: Also I forgot, that when you do go to forward a port within the Linksys control panel (http://192.168.1.1) it only lets you forward to ports within that range. You can specify the last let of numbers (say if I am the first IP .101, .102, etc). There are no text areas in which I can specify an entire IP address, like the one I receive from our provider. Does that make sense? I find it hard to articulate these things some times.

I didn't set it up within the router. I did it within the Network Connections. I am curious though, since my provider has given essentially only one IP address, should I set it statically to that? When I go to any of my room-mates computers and do an IPCONFIG it will show the standard Linksys 192.168.1.101 etc.

I am not sure if I am clear. This seems really ambiguous. To avoid frustration, because I know you deal with this junk all day, I'll run it down quickly. We have the modem which our signal comes in, it's sent to the router, and we have 5 machines behind the router. The IP address, before the signal is routed, is different. When I use any machine in the apartment, say on a website that determines IP, it shows the original IP address and not any of our Linksys ones.

Thanks again for your help.

Archived