new problem with 1.6.1

sam11

i have been running utorrent for about a year now and have never had a single issue with it, up until yesterday when i downloaded the 1.6.1 version. now while utorrent is running my internet is running EXTREMELy slow, i have an 9mb download/1mb upload and it is taking between 20-30 seconds per page load ONLY while utorrent is running. if i disable utorrent everything goes back to normal. my specs are:

xp mce (all updates)

pentium dc 3.4ghz

3gb ddr2

8800gts

twin sata 2 on raid 0

9mb/1mb internet connection:

87043584.png

any ideas on what the heck is causing this cause it worke dperfect until the new version was installed

i did that before posting. it worked fine under the older version (whatever the last one was), i seen a new version was out so i downloaded it and as soon as i did it just absolutely kills my internet surfing. (this was all in the same day) no windows updates, or any other program on my computer have been upgraded either.

anyway i can get a list of what changes were made in this release?

Sorry, this is going to sound a bit sharp, but... If you actually read the first link in my signature properly, you would be providing the information as requested in it already.

Everything's working perfectly here. There are two instances of µTorrent 1.6.1 running on my network, and I've got a crappy router that can't handle more than 256 simultaneous connections, so I'm inclined to believe that the problem does not lie with µTorrent itself.

I have to add my vote two the two reports that something broke in the latest version.

I have also been running uTorrent 1.6 for a long time and getting fast, stable downloads. I uploaded to 1.6.1 when the pop-up prompted and now all my torrents eventually get red icons and all upload and download activity stops completely.

NOTHING else changed between the two versions.

Reverting to 1.6 FIXES the issue.

There's only one logical conclusion, surely?!

actually i did read the part that pertains to me:

SLOW/INTERRUPTED INTERNET CONNECTION/OFFLINE TRACKERS when running µTorrent

- Disable IP resolving in the Peers tab

- Try disabling DHT (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent)

- Try disabling UPnP (Can be found in Preferences > Connection)

- Try lowering maximum global number of connections to 200? 100? 50? (Can be found in Preferences > BitTorrent)

- Lower net.max_halfopen to 4 (Can be found in Preferences > Advanced)

- Patched TCPIP.sys and restarted computer after patching? (Assumes you are using Windows XP w/ SP2)

- Connect your computer directly to the modem to make sure the problem is not caused by the router

- Restart your computer, modem, and router after performing any of the above

oh well was a cool program but being mocked by one of the support staff will make for a great column in our magazine next month.

And what happened to the common procedures? Or the other bits of information requested, such as firewall, router, and modem?

Sure, you read some of it, but if you don't even bother to provide information requested, then you haven't read the entire thing. I don't see how this is considered "mocking," but hey, whatever floats your boat.

@jabbermacy: Please read my posts and think a bit more carefully. Telling us that you changed "ABSOLUTELY nothing" tells us nothing in itself -- do we KNOW how everything was before you upgraded? Sorry, we don't play guessing games around here, so if you don't provide the information requested, it's as good as saying "oh I upgraded to Vista, and now my computer's SO SLOW, but I changed nothing else!" -- oh so helpful when said without context (like computer specs, for example).

Along the lines of needing to read more carefully, look around and tell me where I said the fault absolutely didn't lie with µTorrent. An inclination to believe something is just that -- what I tend to think -- so tell me if I dropped the discussion entirely. Until you can, don't tell me what I have and haven't considered.

jabbermacy,

The older versions of µTorrent were not as aggressive at reaching and sustaining the max values for the settings you told it to use. So if your networking software+hardware was "marginal", then it may go from (almost?) working ok to crashing repeatedly your computer, network card, router, and modem after upgrade.

This is why we're asking for info about your settings, chances are there's a joker in there causing all your problems.

Archived