Always choose to "NOT" download something.

Jesse

I think the idea has credit with the sample thing, especially if you download everything on a feed anyway, and most probably unattended. Suppose you only take a look each evening, then all files would have been completed before you even took a look, and then you won't have any use for the samples. This would allow you to move on to other torrents quicker and allow you begin uploading the parts you have more quickly too.

The two things against this idea is that you would be unable to seed the samples to others in case they want it, and the tracker won't register you as a seeder which distorts the swarm information.

I Think it could be great with automatic selective downloading

Today I'm using the RSS-feed with automatic downloading of torrents turned off, before i start the download i usually first download the sample,

It would be great if I could combine this with a downloading filter. i.e. *.vob (DVDr sample) set to "normal" and other files set to "Don't Download.".

With this filter I could easy automatic download all sample files from all new torrents (turn on automatic download). And later on decide if I want to download rest of the torrent.

This is nice feature, good one. But as for not using samples is a bad idea, cuz how do you know the quality of the video before you see it, lol. The tags on the video can lie too, did you think about that.

If you use a player that can open files in use, or not 100% downloaded (BSPlayer, MediaPlayerClassic) you can see the quality of the movie after a few % of download.

I ussualy do this, as I don't care for the samples or tags.

• 6 years later...

I'd be a fan of being able to wildcard out "Torrent downloaded from myawesometorrents.txt" files.

I downloaded something the other day that I swear had no less than 14 of those files. What's really stupid is that every time someone repackages the torrent with another lookatme.txt file, it creates a new hash, and a new version of that torrent, and dilutes what's out there, even if it's the same basic .mkv or whatever inside. So you end up with 14 different versions of "Doctor.Who.s14e03" that all have shitty download rates, instead of one or two that blaze.

Of course, a better solution than selective downloading would be for people to just stop being stupid fucks and making 14 different personalized copies. But that's never gonna happen.

Archived