Problem when running uTorrent

Dimension11

Hi,

I've been using uTorrent for a few days, and alls great, except that at seemingly random times, i will get an error of "Limited or no Connectivity", and this happens to no matter what computer I use to download with uTorrent.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or is it something to do with my ISP or windows settings? OS is XP with SP2, running Norton Internet Security Firewall.

No evidence of spyware/viruses. I had the same problem with Azureus, but only when downloading more than 5 torrents at a time. Interestingly, the same thing appears to happen with uTorrent. The error only occurs when I download more than 5 torrents simultaneously, or use 2 BT clients at the same time (BitLord/uTorrent for an example).

Sounds like your router can't handle the amount of connections a BitTorrent program requires... :|

I dont use the router for downloading...I use the modem directly.

Try reducing the connections per torrent / global connections to a more suitable amount and see if it helps.

I'lll try this and see if it works.

@Dimension11: Sounds like hardware and think MTXR might be right on.

I've seen this also happen with a bad cat cable or even a poorly seated NIC card (will assume your NIC onboard). Will get packet loss and with heavy traffic knock conn down.

Funny story>> Worked at this office where Domain Server (not mirrored at time) had a bad NIC connection slot and used duct tape to hold cable in place until system could come down for repair<<

Is modem on separate power source than system? Ask that because even faulty surge prot.!

Double check NIC drivers.

Usually a dropped conn is hardware/power related.

Just a few more things to check.

Probably not hardware related, because this happens to all 3 of my computers that I tried.

MXTR: are you saying that my modem is permantly damaged from having too many connections, or that I need to get a new modem?

Would firewalls have anything to do with it? I've currently got ZA running.

Reducing the number of global connections does not help.

I've also looked up the web and run about 50 patches that supposedly fix this problem, and no go so far.

By the way, "Limited or no Connectivity" LAN icon means your router isn't configured as a DHCP server and your PC can't assign a local IP address.

Well personally I get that error message when using wireless. My little Linksys can't handle all the connections. So it's not necessarily a DHCP problem.

-Ares

Is it a G or a GS?

I believe it's a G - I'll have to check in the morning, it's actually one of my housemate's. Too bad there isn't something like this for the befw11s4 - it's my old one that I gave my girlfriend. She gets this error much more than we do while torrenting.

-Ares

Archived