---> Red Icon with port forwarded and firewall off <---

Ludacris123

Hey, I have succesfully forwarded port 17020 in my router and turned off my firewall for uTorrent. Only to find out the red icon is still there. I have no idea what else to do to get it away. I use a WRT54GS router. I have read the sticky about this router, but that implies to a problem with the router having to many old connections and then clogs up. I don't see that that issue has anything to do with my problem. If it does then tell me. If you need any more specifics let me know. I would appreciate any help. I've been downloading with an avarage of 50kb/s for ages now. I really want to have some 200+ every once in a while. Hopefully that will work when I can be found by other peers :)

Kind regards,

Thomas Middleton

I have successfully forwarded my port. I have set a static IP. I first thought the same thing as you did. That's why I contacted Linksys directly about the issue. I have even set MTU size to 1500 to fit uTorrent. I have done all the necessary things to fix the issue within my router, but the icon is still there.

When you forward your port in the ZyXel, you need to be forwarding to the router's IP address, and not your computer's. And you have to be sure that you set your router to have a static IP address on the ZyXel's subnet before forwarding from the ZyXel to the router. It's a little issue called double NAT (which you're probably aware of already). If you need a bit more clarification, try reading the advanced port forwarding guide in the user manual (second link in my signature). If you have more questions after that, I (or someone else) can try to answer it, but I first want to make sure we're on the same page.

Hmm, I've read the User Manual. However I didn't quite understand it properly. I have forwarded the port in my router through this guide of ZyXel self.

http://www.zyxel.nl/support/z156.php?poorten=een#poortenvoorbeelden

It's all in dutch, but I followed it to the letter. It also said that I should fill in the IP number regarding the computer I had uTorrent on.

Another thing I didn't understand properly is the part where you said that I should get my router to have a static IP adress on the modem's subnet before forwarding from the modem to the router.

I am aware of the problem which is called double NAT, but I don't know how to solve it yet.

Kind regards,

Thomas

You understand how you're supposed to have a static IP on your router's subnet, right? The same idea applies for routers. Pretend the router is a computer on the modem's subnet -- you need to set a static IP on the modem's subnet to forward properly to the computer, right? Same idea.

Archived