Speeds dead w/ Rogers - please help?

Wuzizname

Looks like the d**kheads at Rogers caught up with me again as I knew they would.

SecureIX was the ticket for the past few months -really good speeds. But the past few days I've noticed a general and serious reduction in speed again.

I don't know if SecureIX is to blame, they are a free service, maybe they've out stretched their resources and that's why it's slow. I am going to do some research and see if there are any other free VPN's available, possible I'll have a few set up and mix it up so that Rogers doesn't notice me as much.

I have a friend in Caledon, a web developed, who has some kind of wireless set up - he doesn't have cable access or DSL in his area. He was poking fun of me yesterday for spending so much with Rogers for the crappy access I get. I'm left with what - fast d/loads of youTube videos? Why would I pay 50 bucks a month for that? He swears he gets consistant fast d/l's and no problems.

Pain in the ass is that I gave Bell the boot and have my house wired with rogers high speed and Vonage VOIP so any change I make to my ISP is going to be an fair undertaking...... or maybe just tell Rogers to cut me to the Lite package so I can still check my email and use Voip, but that would be giving up wouldn't it? ;)

W?

I tried all type of work around, non helped,

I am with British Telecoms BT they started throttling my torrent one week ago, I used to download at 670kbyte and upload at 50kbyte all day 24/7 without any problems,

now I can download at 10kbyte and upload at 22kbyte during the day between 12 afternoon to 12midnight, then the speed jumps again to full 8mbit connection.

I tried this secureIX and it did not help at all, it did increase the speed by only 10kbyte more.... its crap.

I'm on Rogers Extreme Cable. I have no problem downloading in utorrent, I can sometimes get speeds of almost up to 300kb/s, I average around 120 to 150 kb/s.

Uploading is a different story, I'm lucky if i can get over 5kb/s and even if i do it's not steady, It just drops back down to zero..Then it'll start up and do the same thing.

The only thing i haven't tried is this patch people are talking about for XP, I'm not really sure i want to put that on my system, I don't see it helping much.

I think it's bullshit if rogers is actually limiting what we can do with the service that we pay for. I somehow don't think that rogers is throttling me though..from what i see in this thread is that most people are being affected with download speeds and upload speeds..where i am just being affected with my upload speeds. I have no idea though.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

after setting up secureix, I can't even connect to secureix, i followed the instructions posted but it's giving me an error:

Error 800: Unable to establish the VPN connection. The VPN server may be unreachable, or security parameters may not be configured properly for this connection.

Regarding SecureIX.com:

Thank you, the solution works.

For those who state they still get slow speeds:

The free account is highly limited at 256kbits, it has nothing to do with "overload" - but that the maximum speed is similar to what Rogers has throttled it to.

The premium account is 5mbits, which is fine.

I now have my old speeds.

• 4 weeks later...

SecureIX works very well, when you pay for it. I took the plunge and paid the 3 bucks for a 2 day trial and it really did perform as advertised. Even with Rogers.

Also, lately I know that Rogers has done some serious upgrades up here in Orangeville, and I've noticed that they seem to have laid of the throttle a bit since.

I notice too that torrents through Pirate Bay are slower - possible Rogers uses that as a criteria to flag an account to throttle if they notice the IP sending pings to the pirate bay trackers. Demonoid performs generally very well, but they have more canadian seeders typically.

Those interested in an alternative should try 3web, who just got bought by CA. I have a friend in Brampton who has used 3web for a year and swears by it. Cheaper and considerably faster than Rogers with no throttling. And they are using the cable broadband infastructure too. I was going to give them a shot but their not up here yet :^(

W?

• 7 months later...

Archived