browser/utorrent problems

cocktailarch

I attempted to download a torrent file a little ealier today, and I received an error message (I don't remember the exact text, but there was something in there about 'trying to save to disk instead'). I then tried using IE7 to access the same page/file (I had used firefox on the previous attempt) but when I tried to download it didn't know how to open the file - I told it to use utorrent but all it did, each time I clicked on the download link, was open a new blank tab and not utorrent itself.

I'm not surprised that IE7 didn't know what to do, as I tend to use firefox for browsing and never told IE what to do with torrent files. However, it was a shock to find that firefox also didn't know what to do (when it never had any problems before). Alongside this, after I told IE to use utorrent to open torrent files I find that firefox now has the same problem (no error message anymore, but simply opening blank tabs instead of utorrent). Is there a way to fix this?

note: I have explored the 'file types' section in firefox options, and there seems to be no listing of torrentfiles under the known file types.

I'm going to have to use that FAQ, as I haven't a clue what you're talking about! (e.g. where is the 'about' option in Firefox? For me, it only gives me version release details. Also, I don't know what Boolean means!)

Addition: The FAQ hasn't helped. There's no .torrent entry in the 'manage file types' section of 'options' (in Firefox 2.0). Also, I tried going into IE7 and can't find the option to manage the file types there.

Please note: I am not 'computer savvy' to the point where I understand all the technical terms. I know that this might be frustrating for those of you who know the lingo, but if you can then please try to explain it to me in clearer terms. Thanking you in advance!

Archived