Using uTorrent on Multiple Computers on the same Network

punlman

Any special suggestions about Using uTorrent on Multiple Computers on the same Network... behind a SINGLE cablemodem or dsl router...?

(1) Don't run on multiple computers on the same network?

(2) Special settings or considerations you need to be aware of when doing so?

Static IP addresses with different ports specified for each system.

Forward those ports in your router to the appropriate IP address.

Specify the appropriate port in each client and don't use uPnP.

Define upload/download limits on all relevant systems so that your connection isn't swamped.

Works for me.

Ya know... In my limited experience... When I just let two or more machines go full throttle, the router will eventually need to be reset... and sometimes browsers will just stop loading web pages...

HOWEVER, if I have been running uTorrent on two machines at once... the last two days... with no problems whatsoever... because I have one set to Initial Seeding of one torrent only...

Also, BOTH are set to UPnP... and they both seem to work fine.

Why do you say, "Don't use UPnP"?

1) It doesn't always work correctly.

2) Both clients could end up claiming the same port.

3) I've run two machines with up to three clients in total running simultaneously for over a year without any issues.

Each system has µTorrent for both downloading, seeding and initial seeding with anywhere from one to fifteen active torrents. One system has a second client for seeding only on a separate tracker with 12 torrents.

Theory is nice, but IMO functionality rules.

Ok. Cool.

I use UPnP on three different computers... and within uTorrent I specify which port it should use. I just let it select a random port -- but only once -- not a random port each time it starts. And as long as all three are not the same, they will never change... and they will never use the same port.

Really? I have not seen it do that... But maybe one was never taken...

What I HAVE seen is: uTorrent will say,

"UPnP: Port 51262 already mapped. Not re-mapping."

Meanwhile... that port is not forwarding for some reason...

So, I go in to Preferences-->Connection, and click on "Random Port", then "Ok"....

And, after a few seconds, it WILL map the UPnP to the NEW (random) port designated...

And all works perfectly.

Not sure why it thinks that the previous port was mapped... when it's not. Maybe it just assumes that it was mapped successfully to that port in the previous session or launch... so it does not need to do it again.

Seems like a bug/flaw?

Obviously, it should try to re-map it anyway. It wouldn't hurt anything... right?

@Falcon4:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=235448#p235448

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=20278

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=19788)]If you would look at that message, you would see that a) it's in the Trash can, B)it was blatantly breaking the rules ...

True, DWK might have taken a hard stance on the matter, but it wouldn't have been too difficult for mishy1952 to start a new thread either, and it wasn't something Bruce had to jump on DWK's case for. Just like he didn't have the right to jump on your case either.

His point regarding the title of the first locked thread was nonexistent, as the point of the thread was not for general help, but for help regarding Rogers -- it was just a case of a user not giving a proper title to the thread. If we let that thread become a general help-me thread, then there's no point to the other subforums, now is there? Personally, I wouldn't be interested in seeing the thread to jumble up like it was set up to do if it continued down the path of being a help-me-with-this-and-that-problem thread with contributions from every new user.

As for the banning, I dunno, but after jumping on enough people's cases about every little thing (without a hint of letting up), it gets a bit bothersome and counterproductive to argue with him. If either you or him are going to complain about our flexibility with the rules, make sure we're actually not flexible about any of them before complaining about it to us.

Lastly, if this forum weren't here for helping, where does he think he got all the information for his guide from? We patiently answered many if his questions that were answered in the documentation already, and if it weren't helping him, then perhaps he doesn't need/want to be around here, as he doesn't consider us spending our time to repeat information for him to be helpful to him.

I was perfectly fine with helping Bruce, as he seemed like he was genuinely interested in learning, but if a dog's going to come back and bite the hand that's feeding it (over minor issues about forum administration that we haven't had issues over in the past), then I don't see why we need to keep it around. That's just my (long-winded) perspective on the matter.

I don't get the point of that first link (above)... but yes, I know the guy had some issues. But the point remains that he brought up a huge number of non-n00b topics not often discussed on this forum, and was starting to become a valuable member. Instead of simply reasoning with a fellow human being (which seems to be quite rather foreign a concept on this forum) you just straight out ban the guy.

All people, that come on this forum, are real human beings... yet they're treated like bots most of the time. Locked/trashed topics, at least 20 a day, with barely a word to the potential n00bs what they did wrong. It's one thing to lock/trash the idiotic "why my download not work does" topics, but a whole 'nother ball game to be trashing/locking feature requests. Instead of just turning a blind eye to the people suggesting legitimate things, at LEAST have them COUNT towards something, or provide a reason as to why they were turned down! "already requested" is hardly a reason to send a topic off to the trash. If it's already requested, why isn't it sitting at the top of the forum? The n00b topics like "i aer avi work not plz" have a blaring sign at the top saying "STFU about your AVIs!". But the locked feature requests - especially the legitimate ones - really, really give the mods here a bad name.

Simply enough, banning is a function made to keep bots, spammers, and trolls out of the forums, NOT to remove respectable, established members from a forum for a damn small issue. It's disgusting to see people banned that have at all, at any point, contributed something to a forum. It's fine to ban people that haven't given a shit about the place, that posted one post saying "plz visit mai site kthx" but to ban someone that's put some considerable thought and effort into existing on a site is like Neo in the beginning of the Matrix. What good is a phone call when you are unable to speak? IT'S FRUSTRATING AS FUCK!

Anyway, you really should reconsider giving him the banstick. It's obvious his intentions and thoughts have changed since he first signed up, and the only "negative" thing he's done since then has been in response to some knee-jerk rude reply or action, such as trashing a legitimate topic, that the mods gave him. I don't even know what the hell happened - and since no USERS noticed it, who the hell is banning him benefiting?

That's still stickied? Oops. Not anymore now.

Anyway... THIS is the important one. http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=6501

Besides, all the trashed ones say that the request has either been made before or will never get implemented. Not sure how much more explanation you need. It's their job to search for an existing one, which they'd know if they read the sticky. This is just forum etiquette. It's not specific to this forum.

The more explanation I need is why the hell something will "never" happen. Why is a topic trashed as "will never happen" when it's yet another person wanting something - usually a legitimate thing like a plugins interface or a manual peer-blocking system... unless it's something blatantly stupid like a built-in media player, I don't know why things are considered "will never happen". And if it's been requested before, is it so difficult to keep an index of these feature requests and link to the thread? I don't know whatever happened to that vote-tracker thingy, but it would sure be nice to still have around, especially when it's still linked in that sticky you posted...

-Check the voting page

Located here: http://www.niteshdw.com/utorrent/. It's the best way to have your voice heard.

Overall, the general rudeness of replies and actions from, in particular, DreadWingKnight, really puts this forum in a bad tone. IMO.

The feature tracker was hosted by niteshdw, and was an outside project all its own, so it's not something we could do anything about. Sticky edited.

"Will never happen" occurs when it's a feature request that will do more harm than not, or have been openly rejected by the devs. Plugins? Check -- ludde rejected that idea totally, though I'm not sure how BitTorrent Inc would take it (I haven't seen any threads regarding plugins in a long while now anyway). Manual peer banning, peer preferencing, file order prioritizing? All detrimental to the swarm, summarily rejected. There are others I probably haven't thought of, but those are the most obvious ones that came to mind.

falcon, the first link Ultima gave you was the reason why Bruce thought he must made his new post that led to his banning.

When an Aussie waits 80 seconds after he hijacked a thread to post he needs an answer ASAP and that thread then gets locked, then has this Bruce absolute NO business to complain about that action and accuse those that volunteer here that "Helpful Support is absolutely NOT Permitted in this Forum!"

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=20278

This pertinacious guy even thought he can talk shit about some basic rules like not double posting that are called netiquette .

I for example told him nicely not to do that, his reaction was "but I posted on 2 different days" IIRC.

Or take his answer that it is easier and faster and more convinient for HIM not to do some reading of FAQs but ask straight away!

Edit: changed the wrong vocabulary -> obnocious to pertinacious

File order preferencing? uTorrent is the only one that does it right... obviously THAT one got implemented. Banning would help me when I'm doing initial seeding on a torrent to block assholes that come onto my computer, with 10% completed, and start leeching my bandwidth, when I'm trying to get the 20 95% users completed and seeding. THAT'S where that comes in handy. I don't know where the idea that it's "detrimental to the swarm" comes in. I had to switch to Azureus to seed some of my torrents because uT wouldn't let me ban some fuckers. I got a 4.3gb DVD seeded in 1.4 ratio which would have otherwise taken me at least 2.0 with all the leeching idiots and BitVomet users I couldn't control in uT.

At any rate, punlman is the subject of this little off-topic excursion and I still think he should be let back on.

edit: And yes he DID post on two separate days and I also agree it was very rude of someone (you, I suppose) to blindly rant "YUO SHALL NOT DOUBLE POST". How the hell else are you going to bump the topic that was, in fact, two days apart?

I meant the requests for people to perform "download episode 1, then 2, then 3, ......, then episode 421" automatically. If people want to set the order manually, let them suffer by doing it manually -- µTorrent isn't going to do it automatically for them.

Banning is detrimental when people abuse it, and people will -- this has definitely been discussed time and time again.

But yes, we're getting off track now. Regarding banning/unbanning, it has never been my decision, so there isn't much I'd be able to do about it.

Well, that episode thing is pretty dumb anyway. I don't see where that would ever come in handy... nor do I understand how it would hurt anyone either (unless it stops the other torrents)... it does that anyway with RSS and queueing, right??

And yeah, I guess people could abuse it, but no more than Azureus already allows it.

edit: It's points like these that can't be made when a topic is blindly locked and trashed...

Archived