Using uTorrent on Multiple Computers on the same Network

punlman

@Falcon4: Azureus can do it however they like it, but µTorrent isn't Azureus ;o Azureus gives the user an infinite amount of choices, µTorrent doesn't/hasn't -- it's given the relatively safe and sensible choices for people to use, and that's been working for most people thus far.

I've seen people blatantly ask for the ban feature so that they could ban another user because they didn't want to upload. Maybe I'm underestimating people, but I'm sure that if they were given the opportunity, a lot of users would do the same.

Points like these have been brought up in previous threads before :P Even if they weren't, I'd rather see a consolidated thread discussing a single feature than multiple fragmented discussions all over the place. It's a matter of keeping the forum organized, and requesting dupes over and over without searching only adds to more junk results when searching.

He actually reported some threads trying to scold us about locked threads despite them being against the rules, and that just really peeved DWKnight.

DWK is too easily peeved... really, really. It would be sufficient to shut me up to see him agree to a major attitude adjustment. Hell, almost every topic I see that fumes me for being trashed/locked has DWK at the end with some witty, egomaniacal statement about how stupid the thread poster is and how the flick of his finger sent the topic off to the trash bin. Funny to some, but not to those that think "hrm, that looks like an interesting topic, wait what?".

As for the feature requests once again... whatever happened to being able to have that single consolidated area? How about a read-only forum, like the announcements section, where people can discuss common feature requests then? It would be seen as plainly as the "feature requests" forum, and people would be able to easily find the feature they want to discuss. There wouldn't be a hundred "Moved:" topics confusing people, and people would be free to discuss topics that were moved there from the Feature Requests forum. Kind of like a Todo section, but more like the "yellow" in a figurative red-yellow-green structure of "new feature requests", "considered feature requests", and "todo feature requests". That'd certainly clean some things up. There could even be a sticky of "rejected feature requests" that people can discuss them all they want in.

I still think punlman should be let back on with just some kind of warning... <_<

(edit: FFS, he even sent me that asshole email saying I should go to hell or something - and I STILL think he deserves a "second chance"...)

off-topic: Unanswered posts here are often lacking basic info we need to even get started helping someone or are so esoteric that most of us know little on the subject. I have had to frankly admit to being clueless as to the cause of many people's problems...and state only my best guesses (as guesses) on numerous other ones. And admit to being plainly wrong on others. But I try.

It is extremely upsetting to me that the first post a newcomer makes is to lambaste our efforts to reply in a quick and useful manner to all the posts made here.

...and then to ask all sorts of questions answered in detail by the main FAQ.

...and then to make angry posts when moderators lock and/or trash posts that either break written forum rules or are previously asked/rejected feature requests.

This is not the impression I would get of someone who is sincerely here to help or who is sincerely here seeking help.

I am all for giving someone a second chance. That came after he was not banned for his first and what could have been his last post. It came again on some of his other posts concerning locked topics. They were chalked up as misunderstands, and perhaps rightfully so. However the hostility of some of his last posts simply cannot be ignored, nor do I think we should be giving him any more second chances.

He was a troll and a spammer.

I for one am much relieved that he will have to grind his axes elsewhere, as I too have limits on how much destructive criticism I can take before I just give up and quit.

further off-topic: I use µTorrent's ipfilter.dat from time to time to ban particularly bad peers that try to connect to me. It won't break existing connections...but that's what TCP View is for. :cool: It's usually partially because of what I'm seeing in TCP View that I may add an ip to the ban list in the first place! This is a lot of work for me, however I have only felt the need to do it a few times in the roughly 2 years I've been using µTorrent. A major problem with adding instant manual ban ability in µTorrent is it must be easy to instant UNBAN, both 1 ip at a time and all at once. Much debating has occured over adding/not adding instant manual ban ability, but little has been stated on unbanning. Not allowing such an abuseable feature (especially without an unban feature) just makes good sense.

Hmmz I just wrote this really large reply on one of his topics and now I find out he is banned... oh well...

But I do agree with the staff and Switeck here.

Closing a thread is not intended as a personal insult to the poster. Its a way to keep the forums clean without requiring extensive management. True people don't like a thread they made being closed with only a short description why, often it might even be frustrating. But it does steer them in the right direction and prevents a lot of people from reading and replying to a superfluous thread. I don't think he realized that. And hijacking a thread even if the topic title seems to be encompassing a general subject isn't allowed on most forums either. There is a difference between hijacking and going off topic. By hijacking you divert the discussion away from the OP and make it about you intentionally. Going off topic is following a train of though which leads away from the OP without intentionally trying to make it about you.

However it isn't about him being right or wrong. Its about how he expressed himself. He might have helped this forum or it users in some way that doesn't give him the right to be an outright troll. The first topic Ultima linked is gone but the third and especially the second would get pretty much everybody banned or at least warned on most forums. Why couldn't he have a constructive discussion as for example we are having right here. No... he has to act all childish and throw around undeserved sarcasm and to top it off apologize on behalf of the staff/community! There are FEW things more disrespectful then that.

I would be in favor of giving him a second chance as soon as he has apologized for HIS behavior. But sadly I'm guessing he still thinks he had the right to behave like that especially because he thinks he is right. But even if he was right his behavior was unacceptable. At least in my opinion.

Archived