How does uTorrent decide which torrents to seed first?

punlman

I'm not particularly sure, but I think it waits a minute or so to be sure there are no connecting peers... then it starts another one, and another, and another, until one becomes busy and it quits starting new ones until that one is no longer active. So while you may have a setting of 3 "active" torrents in preferences, you may actually have 15 or so torrents running - 12 inactive, and 3 with connected peers.

If I have 15 torrents running... all at 100% and ready to seed... 12 are inactive, and 3 are uploading with connected peers... and I have a setting of 3 "active" torrents in preferences...

Will those 3 remain actively uploading FOREVER...? Until there are NO other peers trying to download any pieces of it...? That could be forever... no?

(1) At what point will uTorrent stop seeding those 3.... and move on... to continue seeding the OTHER 12 torrents... that are in a "Queued Seed" Status...?

Also...

(2) Is there any way to set a priority number for the Seeding torrents... the way you can set a priority number for the Downloading torrents...

(1) Ahh... yeah. After I thought about it some more... I thought you were gonna say that. :)

(2) I'd like to add one more request for way to set a priority number for the Seeding torrents.

It seems like it would be very important for me to be able to put the Seeds for our new shows at a higher priority than any other general seeding we have going on... And I'd hate to have to Stop any other seeding... just to be certain that our shows get the highest priority...

OHNOES! YOU REQUESTED SOMETHING! I THINK ITS DESTINED FOR THE LOCKBIN! =o

Srsly tho, I think some mods here lock/trash every topic they see containing a request that may or may not have been "requested before". I had to stop browsing the "feature requests" forum because I saw so many topics getting trashed just because they were requested before... no explanation, no nothing... just ka-chunk, dump. :(

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=6501

I think that's more than enough explanation, just like the announcement up above is more than enough explanation for why we lock threads that ask about content. For MANY requests, we're more than tired of explaining over and over, especially those that were rejected requests. Even if a request were rejected before, the first thread about it probably hasn't been trashed so that discussion can continue. Do we want discussion about an identical feature request spanning multiple threads?

And FWIW, I haven't really touched feature request threads in a while.

My opinion... (though no one asked for it...) is....

If a New Topic is posted.... requesting a feature that has already been requested... or about any other topic, for that matter, that already HAS an Open and Active thread... Then it makes perfect sense to politely say,

"There is already a thread dedicated to this discussion. Please post your comments there: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.oho?pid=etcetcetc "

...and lock that thread.

On the Other Hand...

THIS thread is about: "How does uTorrent decide which torrents to seed first?"

So... in a case like that.... If someone posts a Feature Request within this thread.... It makes sense to post a similar message, like... "There is already a thread dedicated to this discussion. Please post your comments there: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.oho?pid=etcetcetc " ...

But NOT to lock THIS thread...

Because the topic, supposedly, still remains: "How does uTorrent decide which torrents to seed first?"

With the mass of threads I'm answering at any given time, I don't think I feel like searching through the forum for the original threads, and wading through OTHER dupe threads. If the feature's been requested, and the user's thread locked, then the user should at least make more of an effort to look for the other threads, and not make others be search assistants for them. IMHO. I do post links if I can remember exact keywords off the top of my head, though.

Anyhow, someone else (I think kurahashi, though I can't quite remember) gave an explanation based on their observations as to how µTorrent decides what to seed. Since I can't remember, I can't provide a link :P

Archived