1.6.1 drops speeds after configuration change

Lord KiRon

Basically it goes like this :

- If I in "Options"->Preferences"->"BitTorrent" change either "Global maximum number of connections" or "Maximum number of connected peers per torrent" and hit "OK"

The upload speed goes way down , my max is 65kbps and it goes down to 0-3kbps.

It does not metter if numbers I change up or down and I have patched XP SP2 TCP/IP stack with 1000 connections allowed.

After uTorrent restated it goes full speed up again.

(Using XP connected to LinkSys router in DMZ + KPRF)

Try CTRL+G, make a Speed Test, and you will see that 1000 connections in Windows are too much.

Normaly a value of 50 would be enough ... as FAQ says: http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Does_.C2.B5Torrent_work_well_on_Windows_XP_SP2_systems_with_an_unpatched_TCPIP.SYS.3F

So it doesn't wonder if your speeds go down :/

So thats not a bug, its a "user mistake" ...

I don't see the logic , there is no such thing as too much :) , may be it's too much to set 1000 connections in uTorrent (which I don't I use 200) but in Windows ... the default was 10,000 before SP2.

Anyway, it seems to be some speed problem with 1.6.1 anyway , so I reported it @speed section now.

More connections = more protocol overhead.

You may think that there is no such thing as too much, but you have to realize that each additional connection you open is additional strain on your system.

Additionally, some routers don't like even a medium-high number of connections (some start puking over about 60).

More isn't better.

Archived