Rogers throttling has killed my uploads

Lubs

This past week my upload speeds have been so terrible they barely register. They usually blip from 0 to 3.5 Kb/s, with cumulative uploads reaching 10 Kb/s rarely. I'm on Rogers Extreme, and usually cap my uploads at 80 Kb/s. They typically stay around the cap, unless the torrent has a very nice seeder/leecher ratio. My downloads used to go as high as 600 Kb/s, but now they jump between 100 and 250. Although I don't like it, this isn't as big a problem as the upload speeds.

I know Rogers has been throttling for a long time, probably two years based on my reading. What worked for me until recently was using the VoIP port 1720 and enabling encryption. As of the past week, this doesn't do the job.

The past couple of days I tried a number of things to get my uploads to normal. I first thought it was the new version of uTorrent. I deleted the settings.dat file. With no luck there, I downgraded to 1.6. Nothing. I then tried the SecureIX VPN and had some decent success. Uploads reached about 50 Kb/s. This is when I realized it must be Rogers.

Figuring it's their traffic shaping, I set encryption to forced and disallowed legacy connections. No cigar. I then tried a different DNS server through OpenDNS. Again, nothing. I then changed my port to random and enabled UPnP. Nothing has worked.

So my question is, what else can be done to thwart Rogers throttling? My current options seem to be to switch ISPs or subscribe to a Usenet server. Help!

Lame. I'm guessing they've figured out the encryption seeing that I can upload just fine outside of torrents. Maybe it's time to update the encryption method to stay ahead of the game.

Any port recommendations I should try? I tried 5060 and 3074, and had a little bit of success. Those are official VoIP and Xbox Live ports.

They do deep packet inspection -- a simple port change most likely won't help at all. Updating the encryption scheme won't help at all, and takes time to become widely used. It'll just be a game of cat and mouse. We change the encryption scheme, they block the new one. We change it again, they block the new one again.

I think its bullshit...And to say that there monitoring the packets so big deal get a new isp.. LOL Sounds to be like u torrent is giving up... It took rogers a long time before they stoped us from downloading torrents change the incription im sure it will take them a year to catch up... its better then whats happening. Because im reading news groupes every where and there all saying Torrents are ending ....

Archived