NAT Traversal, Proxy/Tor, DHT Network

At my school they cap BT a lot but I found a client, BitComet, that would seem to get past this cap, past their packet shaper and firewall, and download at reasonable rates. The cap is normally of like 2kb/s, and with BitComet I've been able to get 200-300KB/s speeds up and down. Of course I've run into all the trackers that hate BitComet for some rediculous reason which has set me on the hunt for a client again, and this one was reccomended by a friend, but of course I can't get over 2kb/s.

I was hoping, if it is at all possible, yet still keeping uTorrent small and memory efficient, is to include the NAT Traversal protocol and maybe that DHT network that BitComet and Azurues employ.

Also I've been experimenting with proxies and tor in the hopes of getting some decent speeds here; although I'm sure those take up a lot of memory to effectivly work, seeing as how those clients are big and bullky; and was also wondering if some form of proxy/tor support might be added. I prefere this smaller client since it doesn't crash my other programs that need net access like BitComet does; but being unable to get decent speeds I have had to go back to using BitComet.

These are just a couple suggestions I had, and I'm sure there are others out there that have the same problems with their NAT firewall, whether at school or at home.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You only need to forward the one port guys - I'm behind a NAT, and opening up the single listen port is all I've needed to do to get the "Network OK" message.

Granted my router has uPnP and I'm using that option in uTorrent, so I don't know what configuration problems you're having that's stopping it working for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Attempting to revive topic.

NAT traversal would be very useful for many people who are behind NATs over which they have no control. Unfortunately, it requires a UDP version of the peer-to-peer part of the BitTorrent protocol (NOT for connecting to the tracker) because of its nature. I'd like to see an official response from ludde or vurlix about this.

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDP_hole_punching

Lets not also forget the original feature that was suggested. Adopt BitComet's (Packet Encryption) feature, as I can also confirm that it does a heap of help on ISP's that are like mine, do throttle packets especially those generated by P2P activities. My ISP is Rogers, and that basically is most parts of Canada.

Archived